I have a problem with my setup- Building my first computer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidp423

In Runtime
Ok i have everything in except the hard drive in my setup, because i want to configure bios right now to make shure its reading the cd-drives and stuff.... and i hooked up everything... i connected my moniter to the video card and everything and when i press the power button it starts up all the fans and cd-drives, floppy drive start up, but my miniter just flickers once and remains on "please check signal"... im stuck... herses a link to the mother board im using http://fryssupport.net/p4vxasd2.cfm AND heres the manual for it if u need it http://www.dashsignature.com/download/ECS Web Site_file/p4vxasd2p50aeng.pdf and heres the case http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-RaidMax_Raidmax_868WSP_Scorpio_Mid_Tower_w_Window_420W_ and can someone tell me the right jumper settingings i should use...

Here are some system specs:

Pentium 4 1.7 GHz
420W Power Supply
128MB of RAM sdram
Motherboard is EliteGroup P4VXASD

That means there is either an issue with the video card or VGA (or whatever connection your using) connection. Make sure your video card is firmly in place and that your monitor is infact connected correctly.

Let us know if that doesn't solve the issue.

its an agp vid card. i know the video card works for sure. cause it works in my other comp its a 64mb.... everyrhing in my setup works - like all the fans and drives and everything but theres no signal to the mobiter ( i also know for sure the moniter works)

Ethereal_Dragon said:
Sounds like the system isn't POSTing. Possible issue with the CPU or RAM.

so... how do i make it post.... and its not the ram or cpu because everthing powers up fine all the fans and drives... the case speaker is plugged in but i dont here the post... i suspect its a bad cpu but i have no way to test it......

Pentium 4 1.7 GHz
420W Power Supply
128MB of RAM sdram
Motherboard is EliteGroup P4VXASD

...... Holy shlt man, the computer your building is a piece of crap. It would be way cheaper to buy a new alienware computer on ebay.

Well he jsut starting out and well its better for some to have some test trials then to acually do it the first time on a decent computer. anyways he is asking ofr help not smart comments like that.. but i had a similar thing happen to me i called asus and they told me to take out the Processor and try to start it up to see if it was the Processor maybe that well help you.

IkaneoMax said:

...... Holy shlt man, the computer your building is a piece of crap. It would be way cheaper to buy a new alienware computer on ebay.

That isn't very nice.... your spec's aren't all that great either....
Intel p4 3.2GHz, Radeon 9550, 512 ram, segate 7200 200gb,
Soto dragon motherboard

Not everyone can afford to build top of the line PC's.....
Not everyone builds a PC to play the newest games at the highest framerates.

Perhaps this person is building a PC to use it for internet surfing, listening to music, and doing things with Microsoft Office type software... if so, then he has a nice system, on a pretty good budget.

Most monitors now say "Please check signal" whenever they're not getting a signal. Like your computer crashed or the cord got loose. It's really not anything specific. We need you to do some troubleshooting (if you don't understand a word, use wikipedia.com or google):

1 - disconnect your power cord from the wall socket, touch a metal piece of the computer case to ground yourself
2 - make sure all your inside cables and cards are secure and pushed in all the way.
3 - clear your BIOS. Remove the CMOS jumper near the battery and wait about 30 seconds. Replace the jumper in the orginal position.
4 - Turn on your computer. If you don't hear a beep, you didn't POST (power-on self test). Turn off your computer. I'll assume it didn't POST.
5 - Disconnect/remove all your non-essential components. Modem, cd-rom, harddrive (yes, you can POST without one), etc. Keep your RAM and Video card connected only. Clear your CMOS again. If it still doesn't POST, it's likely the RAM or the motherboard. Maybe the PSU. If it does POST, then start slowly adding back items to see who's the culprit.
6 - Other things: check the Power supply Unit (PSU). Are the fans spinning when on? Do you see lights come on anywhere?

Try these steps and then get back to us.

bengance said:
Most monitors now say "Please check signal" whenever they're not getting a signal. Like your computer crashed or the cord got loose. It's really not anything specific. We need you to do some troubleshooting (if you don't understand a word, use wikipedia.com or google):

1 - disconnect your power cord from the wall socket, touch a metal piece of the computer case to ground yourself
2 - make sure all your inside cables and cards are secure and pushed in all the way.
3 - clear your BIOS. Remove the CMOS jumper near the battery and wait about 30 seconds. Replace the jumper in the orginal position.
4 - Turn on your computer. If you don't hear a beep, you didn't POST (power-on self test). Turn off your computer. I'll assume it didn't POST.
5 - Disconnect/remove all your non-essential components. Modem, cd-rom, harddrive (yes, you can POST without one), etc. Keep your RAM and Video card connected only. Clear your CMOS again. If it still doesn't POST, it's likely the RAM or the motherboard. Maybe the PSU. If it does POST, then start slowly adding back items to see who's the culprit.
6 - Other things: check the Power supply Unit (PSU). Are the fans spinning when on? Do you see lights come on anywhere?

Try these steps and then get back to us.

tried all of that will no success, i took out everything except the cpu still no post, i took out the cpu and no post still... i added everything one by one still no post... checked and rechecked jumpers- although im still not sure what flash rom voltage and cpu clock speed jumper setting to use and what it even is....

now i susoect the motherboard is bad... im gonna try to get a new one and see what happens then...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom