Just installed some more RAM............

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonny_uk

Fully Optimized
Had 512DDR just installed another 512DDR stick and it now says 0.99GB when i right click my computer.

Surly it should say 1024MB?

On a side note, when i do the "Dxdiag" thing it comes up as 1024 which is right, so i guess its just windows being queer!

When you use My Computer, it really only tells you what your effective available memory is. The first few bytes of memory are reserved for hardware use, so they won't appear as available. The Dxdiag simply tells you what is actually there regardless of how much of it you can use. There should always be some different between actual and available regardless of what size your RAM is. This is similar to the size of a hard drive and the available storage space.

Yup.

Because the producer regards 1Gb RAM as 1000,000,000 Bytes, whereas your machine will regard 1GB as 2^30 Bytes. As a result, the RAM may appear to be smaller than it should be.

Also, you might have been careless when u installed the RAM, so that some small part of your RAM is damaged. This also leads to lower RAM amount as well. But this effect is normally trivial.

Something similar happened to me. System Information under Accessories said I had 512 Total, but 7XX available. Everest Home Edition got it right though, =D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom