Future Proofing computers..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unknown Envy

In Runtime
Im going to be building my new computer soon and I was wondering is it worth it to future proof it so I dont have to uprgade

Examples:

Dual core,
4 gb of ram,
sli mobo( Im thinking maybe sli might be good in the future...dunno..)

although 2gb of ram is standard for gaming is 4gb just unnecassary?

Also in this build Im just getting a 6800 GT and waiting for the g71 r600 and g80 to come out...the 6800 should be breeze thru most games on normal settings :)....but yeah...Im just curious on how I should approach building my pc...I dont want to buy a $1800 dollar PC and be left in the dust 4 months later....

Random: Is watercooling hard to setup...id be scared that it would have leakes or somthing and then leak out and fry evreything...hmm...I think fans may be a better choice?

Thanks
:D

There's nothing wrong with air cooling for starters...

4gb of ram is useless and has actually thrown errors to people because it can't handle all of that unused memory.

When you mean 'future proof,' you are NOT going to continue to run games on high settings until you feel like upgrading. When you build a high-end computer, expect it to be mid-market within a year. You'll be able to happily use the machine for 3-4 years, but if you're addicted to ultra-high resolutions and bleeding-edge technology, there's no such thing as future proofing for you.

As far as getting a video card now and waiting... you might as well get something cheaper for temporary uses, like the 6600GT.

Ryan

if you really want a future proof pc, wait about 5 or so years, build the best pc you can, then build a time machine and come back to now...

haha. I like that idea....Yeah there is no such thing as future proofing people. It is a myth. IT ALWAYS has been. The BEST you can do is to spend a ton of money on new technology such as the first of the AM2's or G80s. This will allow you to have the newest product for the longest period of time. Future proofing = High $$$ Cutting Edge Tech. And thats as good as it gets...

In my opinion you build for compatiability...not components.

you CAN'T upgrade from a 939 to an AM2 w/o changing mobos.
You CAN'T upgrade to SLI w/o an SLI mobo or an SLI PSU
You CAN'T drop in 2GB of w/o wasting $ when you buy 512MB sticks.
You CAN'T use DirectX 10 w/o a DirectX 10 graphics card.
You CAN'T use DirectX 10 w/o Microsoft Vista

You CAN buy another HDD at any time.
You CAN buy another GB of RAM at any time
You CAN buy a DirectX 10 graphics card at any time after release
You CAN upgrade a CPU if you stay within the socket type.
You CAN buy Microsoft Vista after release

So buy for options...not numbers.
Numbers can be upgraded.

Compatiability is priceless....

Juice Daddy said:
if you really want a future proof pc, wait about 5 or so years, build the best pc you can, then build a time machine and come back to now...

That's a great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom