Raid Question Simple ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerodayATK

Daemon Poster
ok ... i have an 80gb hdd and i wann connect more... but i dont wanna span becasue i wanna be able to see both hdds to put games on one and other stuff on the other .....??? is this possible without deleting my old hdd?? oo and if i connect 2 right now .. will i be able to connce a 3 and 4 later if i want to??

I don't think this is a raid question specifically. Looks like you have two SATA connections. So right now, you just need to connect using the other SATA connection. Yes, you will be able to connect more later. Setting up raid, if necessary, doesn't require you to reformat the effected hd's, so this wouldn't be an issue. As long as the hd with your OS is staying in the same place, you can just plug the new one in. Keep in mind though that if you choose to raid in the future, you will probably need an identical hd, so if they discontinue it, you may be out of luck.

~Justin

so this has nothing ot do with raid i thought when you connect two hdds or more together its raid???

What your doing is just adding another drive. RAIDing takes the drives and puts them together to act as one. All you would have to do is plug in your new drive and it should show up. If you want to do RAID, you would have to reformat and everything.

I think that JBOD would be the best setup for you. JBOD takes several different physical drives and makes them into one logical drive. You could do RAID 0 if all your drives are the same size/interface, but JBOD is safer. If one of your RAID 0 drives fails, everything is lost, but if a drive in JBOD fails, you can still get stuff from the other working drives.
You need to check your motherboard manual to see if it has a RAID/JBOD controller built in. If your motherboard doesnt support RAID/JBOD you need to buy an additional card to be able to use RAID/JBOD.

ok. RAID

RAID 0 - If you have (1) HDD and it's currently formatted and has an OS and other programs on it and you want to add an identical drive and configure RAID 0, you will have to destroy all data on the original disk when building the RAID 0 array. So for RAID 0 you'll have to lose all data on original HDD, build the RAID 0 array, then reinstall OS and other APPz.

RAID 1 - With this array you can actually add another drive for redundancy and not destroy your data. Because during the creation process the second drive will be an exact mirror of your first drive. If you have (2) 120GIG HDD's in RAID 1 - you'll still only have 120GIG because (1) drive is actually a copy or mirror of your primary drive. This is a good config. for data security. If you lose one drive, you can easily install a new drive and rebuild the RAID 1 array without losing any data.

RAID 0 - Should be done at inital build.
RAID 1 can be done anytime.

Just adding another drive for additional storage isn't RAID at all.

That is correct.

You might also consider what Vybuni said about JBOD if you don't like having multiple drives show up. Of course you would have to learn a little bit more about it, its not quite as simple.

If you were considering RAID0 in the future, don't.

Good luck.

~Justin

no.. see thats what i want seperate drives so i can put games on one and other stuff on the other .......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom