socket 370 advice and memory advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

-RockMan-

Banned
I have a question that I need some help on I want to upgrade my computers processor and memory.
My PC is a Gateway essential PC, processor is 433Mhz celeron- if I'm correct this PC should be using a socket 370 frame, if it is I would like to boost the power to at least 600Mhz celeron processor. If this is the case would this computer be able to handle it ? also I am aware that I'll need to update the BIOS but that **** Gateway company has not done another bios update since 5-21-2000 and I my computer has it already, will my PC accept the new processor if the bios is strong enough to detect it ? also my memory is 256MB if I use 2 stick of these will bios be able to accept it ?

I am looking at this website here for socket 370 to figure out how much I can upgrade it to, if I can only boost it to 500Mhz or not at all....... then screw it and nevermind.......

Right now I can't afford a new PC so please don't tell me to buy a new one when I don't have the money to get one.

http://users.erols.com/chare/cpu_proc.htm#celeron

Check on the motherboard to see if the multipliers go up that high. You don't need to update the bios and it should accept the ram. I wouldn't get a celeron, get a Pentium 3.

Is your socket PGA370 or 370 (socket 7) if its 370 you can't go past 566mhz

I got an old gateway it was
cel466
64ram
10gb hdd
8x CDrom

now
cel650
192ram
TNT2
10gb hdd
DVD

Ok I just now looked at this chart that Ethereal Dragon posted, my computer uses a socket 370 since it is a 433mhz celeron.
SpoiledBar said if my processor is socket 370 it won't be able to reach over 566Mhz, but what he said isn't making enough sense. I looked at that chart that ethereal gave me and by looking at the processors beginning at 533mhz FCPGA how can my system accept this type of processor which is FCPGA without rejecting it since my motherboard is a normal socket 370 ? if I'm right wouldn't that gateway only be able to reach 500Mhz only and stop there and not 566mhz ?

sorry about this question but I truly need to know what processor this system can handle without any damage. I tried calling a gateway to see if I could get any information on multipliers for my system but they sat there and laughed at me on the phone because they said don't have a clue of what that is and tried to transfer me to sales and get a new system.

My system currently
433Mhz
256MB sd-ram
41.33gig HD
DVD-CD-RW
CD-ROM
DVD-RW-+ takes 6 hours to burn a movie
Happauge wintv go tuner card
Sound blaster live 4.1 card
Windows XP Pro SP2

Now you see why I'm trying boost this PC's speed and power.

That sucker's gonna be pretty slow. It has a 66mhz fsb it looks like... That is, if I'm reading the sticker right.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom