The BARE MINIMUM for Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

koanaihe

Baseband Member
Hey, heres a fact. I visited a website and found the bare minimum for running Windows XP. Here it is:

Asus PIV-486SP3 socket 3 Mainboard, SIS 496/97 chipset
Pentium Overdrive running @ 8 MHz
18mb Ram
EIDE drives
6.4 GB hardrive
Vision964-PCI graphics-card

I thought that this was amazing. Not to my suprise they timed the boot and it clocked in at 30 minutes. After 13 more minutes you can see the first icons. An additional 17 minutes more,
than you can start "working". The cpu idle is at 100% all the time, there is no real idle mode. When trying to start the internet the homepage becomes availible after 10 minutes.

I wouldn't consider that bare minimum, i would consider that insanity. LOL good post however...

I ran XP on a P3 450mhz and 64mb of ram. It lasted a week, and then was formated. I wouldn't even call that the bare minimum.

How long did it take to instal xp?

They installed using another system. You cannot install XP on anything below 64MB of RAM.
They had it install over night.

You can install on a system with ram lower than 64. They found a way to bypass the 64mb requirment. And installed with 18mbs. They had a mini movie (10 minutes long) of them actually installing and the progress starts at 39 minutes to completion and then moves to 37 minutes during that time.

No, you cannot install with less than 64MB. Just like Win2003, you cannot install it with less than 128MB.
They installed with 64MB+ and removed the memory after installation completed.

I read something somewhere about them running it on an original IBM PC, and taking hours to boot. I dont remember where I saw that though.

REAL Minimum for XP (IMO):

1 GHz Pentium 3,
256MB of RAM, at least a 20GB 5400RPM hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom