Evaluate My System and Suggest Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orayn

In Runtime
My current system is in my signature, and I'm looking to upgrade it over the summer, but don't know where to begin. Some specific changes I'm looking at are in my other thread, but I want general thoughts on where to go from here if I want to turn it into a serious gaming rig.

Your CPU is fine, I'm guessing you want a new mobo that is SLI, go with this. Not saying that the 6600 GT 128 is a bad card it's just you might want to upgrade that to a 7800 GT, What kind of PSU do you have? Tell me the ampage on on it as well. You might have to get a more powerful PSU to handle newer cards. 1 GB of Ram is good (do you have 2 X 512 or 1 GB stick?) to play new games but if you want eye candy you will going to have to have 2 GB.

Do you have to have a new case? Well I know Lian-Li make the best cases but there pretty expensive, you might want to look at the Antec P180 case, but if your on a budget this is a good case for the money, I got the silver one but I'm sure they are all the same, and it's great as far as I can tell for the price, but there may be better but I'm just recommending it (btw don't get the ones with the power supply in them, Aspire makes great budget cases but make low-quality PSUs like most that come with cases).

Read the sticky on dual graphics cards. Unless you plan on spending some serious money on graphics cards that can run high resolutions, the results of this article show not much improvement over a single card. Considering the price difference between single and double, I'd just sink some money in a nice 512mb card. After all, you do have a pretty powerful CPU, so ther is no problem there. If you do decide to go SLI, you will definantly have to get a new power supply. Beefcake is right, 1GB just won't cut it if you upgrade your graphics card. I'd definantly got with at least 1.5GB, but 2GB if your wallet can bare.

~Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom