First gaming system

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillGates

Banned
I've been out of the computer scene for 2 years so go easy on me.

Here is what I was thinking so far.

Mobo not sure about it yet though I was hoping someone here has had experience with that brand

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR
Some people tell me I should spend more on memory, some say its all the same so gimme some pointers if what I picked is crap.

Dual XFX GeForce PCI-E 6600 GT's

Maxtor 7200rpm 160gig (for music and pictures and such) already have

Raptor 10,000rpm 37gig for games and OS

I/O Magic dual layer DVD/CD burner (already have)

Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX

Hiper Type-R Series 480W Power Supply

Thermaltake Saprano case

Im open to changing my setup so if what I picked absolutely sucks just tell me, I'll try and take it like a man. haha :p

EDIT: I just relized I forgot the video cards :bald: Theyre there now

get geforce 6800GS instead of 2 6600GT, because one 6800GS is as good or even better than 2 6600GT and it's cheaper, and u can always buy another 6800GS in future.

IF that fits your budget then it sounds fine. If your are planning of spending more, then I would consider going with the single 6800 and getting another later.

Drop one of those video cards, get 2gb of OCZ or G.SKILL and overclock your sandiego and youl have a very nice system..also rule of thumb is to not get a psu unless its a reliable brand...er I would look on newegg for atleast a 500 watt....antec is a good brand chek them out..

Unknown Envy said:
Drop one of those video cards, get 2gb of OCZ or G.SKILL and overclock your sandiego and youl have a very nice system..also rule of thumb is to not get a psu unless its a reliable brand...er I would look on newegg for atleast a 500 watt....antec is a good brand chek them out..

You do know that the Hiper Type-R is a 120 dollar 580watt high quality power supply right?(According to what I have read.)

Maybe all the reviews for it (that say its great) have been wrong but I'm doubting it.

As for the vid cards, for now im going to use an old G-Force MX4000 so I can use the money for 2gigs of memory like you said. Then I'll buy a good video card next month.

Thanks for the reply.

BillGates said:
You do know that the Hiper Type-R is a 120 dollar 580watt high quality power supply right?(According to what I have read.)

Maybe all the reviews for it (that say its great) have been wrong but I'm doubting it.

As for the vid cards, for now im going to use an old G-Force MX4000 so I can use the money for 2gigs of memory like you said. Then I'll buy a good video card next month.

Thanks for the reply.
i would get a good vid card then add mem.

Ok well I've decided to put a little more in my budget, so I'll still be getting the 2gigs of OCZ ram, and I'll go for the 6800GS too.

The new CPU is a Athalon 64 X2 3800+ dual core, and the apropriate mobo.

Since nobody likes my PSU decision, can I get some suggestions? I'd really like to have modular but its not a necessity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom