Boot Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ska_kid

Solid State Member
My computer just randomly restarted on Friday around 10PM and it won't boot anymore. It detects everything, but it just stops while trying to load from the harddrive. It doesn't do anything but just stay there on the screen. At first I thought it was the virus I was IMed with I accidently clicked(Mozilla asked me to download, I clicked no, then Norton Anti-virus caught it, even though I tried not to download it), but I decided it couldn't be that since it was caught by Norton Anti-Virus. But on my BIOs, everything under the BOOT tab seems to be gone, nothing there, it used to have harddrives and CD options there. Since the motherboard's been out of stores forever, I ordered a new one. Anyways, could this have been a virus? Should I format my old drive before installing my new motherboard? Anyway to remove it?

Better to format your old drive. To eleminate unwanted files like the installed drivers of your old motherboard especially virus and spywares.

does your BIOS even detect your hard drive, CD-ROM drive, and floppy drive? If not then you might have a hard time reformatiing.

regiemon said:
Better to format your old drive. To eleminate unwanted files like the installed drivers of your old motherboard especially virus and spywares.

That's what I'm planning, but I'm hoping I don't have to format my old slave drive. I have some stuff I want to save. Also, my motherboard does detect them, it just won't boot. I just wanted to know if there was a recent virus or something that's been destroying BIOS. Otherwise, I might not need to format at all because I'm pretty sure my old computer(built from an old motherboard a company was throwing out) would do something like this.

Have you tried installing your windows without formating?

The best advice i could give you is to format your hard drive.
Regards to your files, if you have a friend with a computer, try backing up your files to his/her hard drive.

regiemon said:
Have you tried installing your windows without formating?

The best advice i could give you is to format your hard drive.
Regards to your files, if you have a friend with a computer, try backing up your files to his/her hard drive.

Couldn't that spread a virus to their computer?

If your friend have a antivirus try scanning first, but viruses only trigger when you excecute them.

regiemon said:
If your friend have a antivirus try scanning first, but viruses only trigger when you excecute them.

That's what I figured and I haven't done anything in the past that could have executed a virus. Were there any wurms and such recently that did what I mentioned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom