Bios update on an intel MB .. help

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokingq

Beta member
Hello, this is my first time posting looking for some help. i hope someone in here can shed some lights into the problem i m having, since intel website is no help at all.
this is really weird..but here is what happened..
i have an intel D865PERL MB and i have just update the bios on the motherboard. the update was sucessful.. when i go into the bios.. i can see that it listed the latest bios.. now, here is the weird thing.
under drive configuration.. PATA master and PATA secondary is grey out. it is not detecting my primary master ide dvd rom and my primary slave hard drive. it did detect my secondary master dvd rom and the secondary slave ide hard drive. i did reflash the bios again.. the same thing.. everything on PATA is not detect. took out the cmos battery.. after putting the battery back in..again.. primary channel is not detected.. i got a sata drive and plug it into the sata controller.. it did detect the SATA hard drive.. however,. still not detecting the primary channel.
more weir things.. after booting into OS.. i click on my computer.. i was able to see and access the drives on the Primary channel. it was there.. no problem accessing it.. however.. after a while( dont know how long) the drives on the primary channel disapppeared.. just like that.. it was gone.. but after reboot the computer.. it's there again.. in my computer.. (however, bios still not detecting it). this is the weirdiest thing i have come across..
if anyone out there have to ideas about what to do.. please tell me.. there is no information whatso ever on intels website and i dont want to pay $25 per minute for their phone support.

thanx in advance...

smoking

Well to start off, your hard drives and CD-ROM drives need to be on separate channels. Master hard drive (hard drive with the OS) and slave hard drive need to be connected to the primary IDE channel and your master dvd rom drive and slave dvd rom drive need to be connected to the secondary IDE channel.

Try downgrading your BIOS back to the version you were previously at and see if you can see the drives once again.

Also make sure your jumpers are correct. Hard drives should be set to cable select, the ribbon cable will take care of the rest provided you have them hooked up right. Same goes with the two CD Drives. Of course if you don't have the cable select jumper, Master and slave.

Make sure the BIOS is set to PATA (IDE) and not SATA. It did detect the SATA dirve for a period of time so this could be a problem. Other than that I would just suggest the downgrade, then you'll know if it's the BIOS version.

x2xtreme360...
thanx for the input.. but it's still not working.. i did seperated all the drives..still the same thing..
My OS is on a ultra160. both of my ultra 160 drives are fine.
prior to upgrading the bios.. it was working fine. dont know what happpened after the upgrade..
i have the drive configurator set at "enhanced" so i can detect ide, sata drives.
but just dont know why it couldnt detected anything on the primary channel.
thnx for the inputs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom