Cannot boot into windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssbaby

Beta member
Hi guys,

I did a fresh re-install of windows XP on my Dell inspiron Laptop and just now it crashed.

I know my HD is a bit dodgey and might be on it's way out...

When it crashed my laptop did a memory dump and usually when it completes, it should reboot and windwos starts up again.

But this time I had to do a hard reset and this is the message that I got:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STOP: c0000218 {registry file failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file)
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SECURITY
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Beginning Dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I put in my windows recovery disk that came with the dell, but when i selected REPAIR, I really didn't know what the **** I should do.

I tried to reboot my laptop several times, but always comes up with the blue screen and the above error message.

Please can you guys help me out? Do you think I need a new laptop? I took my laptop to a couple of shops and they said that because of the way my dell was made, they cannot remove the HD and stick in a new one.

Help please!

you cant load different operating systems than the ones that dell gives you because dell has special drivers that are made for the pc built-in to the OS.

my new toshiba laptop has a special xp disc that i have to use in order to get software, drivers, etc. even though i want linux on it...

I did install it using the XP disc that Dell gave me. Then I went to the Dell website and downloaded all the drivers.

The problem only happened tonight and that was after my laptop had been running for 1 week without probs.

I upgraded it to XP pro and installed SP2 plus NOD32 antivirus and Microsoft Anti-spyware.

I don't think my problem has anything to do with the drivers since I get the message,

STOP: c0000218 {registry file failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file)
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SECURITY
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Sounds to me like it is to do with either my windows system files or possibly related to my Anti-virus or something in regards to security....

So any other suggestions?

Thanks Warez Monster, you are a big help, but I ended up formatting and re-installing XP because it ****ed me off so much. Mind you, there wasn't that much worth saving anyway since I mainly used it for downloading and then transferring the files to my desktop where I have more HD space.

Lucky I backed up all my software and drivers before hand, so once XP has finished installing then it won't take me that long to fix it.

I hope this never happens to me again as it scared the **** out of me....and when I read Microsoft's support page on how to remedy this problem, I kacked myself even more!!! Hahhaa....

All the same thanks dude, you're great.

er...well, I've had easier situations :p haha, the process of fixing the system files seemed a lot of hassle so that's why i chose to just format and start again.

To be honest I think there is a problem with the HD so I may end up buying a new laptop in the future :(

Actually....Mmmmmm......a new laptop.....haha (well when I get the money that is...)

I would have been good to learn how to fix the problem then if it happens again, you would know what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom