Worth upgrading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrax

Daemon Poster
Hey, I just really got into computer hardware, so I don't really know that much, but I think I know enough to get me by. I currently have a slightly upgraded HP machine, here are the specs:

2.4ghz Celeron (I know, it's crap)
512 ram (not sure what type, can anyone tell me how you tell?)
Ati 9600pro 256mb

The mobo is some stock HP one, and not too sure on the PSU but I doubt that it matters in this system since it's not really demanding that much.

What I really want to know is if it's worth upgrading, say, the mobo and cpu, then later the gpu. Or if it would be better to buy a whole new rig.

Thanks. :)

IMO, I would just sell it, and save up for a new computer if thats an option.

But if it is not an option, I would get a another stick of 512mb and a 6600GT assuming your PSU will support it.

You could upgrade the mobo.But if you wanna upgrade the CPU you might as well build a budget computer for like $500.You could use the HDD you have now and the drives and the ram but you should just get a gig of some budget ram unless you wanna overclock.The advantage of building a new rig would you would ecscape INTEL and move on up to AMD.A 3200+ 939socket would be plenty.

Selling could be an option. If it would be possible, I'd like to salvage what I could from this comp though. I could use the hard drives, and the ram I think.

The main thing I want is to be able to get a decent framrate from games, mostly CS:S, ATM I get about 20fps on all low settings, I'd be satisfied with a machine that cold run it at medium settings with 40-60 fps. Could someone suggest a setup that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg, and that could do what I need?

It would be nearly triple that amount, since I live in New Zealand and the prices for computers here are crazy. Wouldn't a 6600gt be going a step down since it's 128mb, and the card I have now is 256mb?

well video memory isnt everything..... It really depends on the clockspeed of the core and memory, the architecture and the amount of pipelines. I am 100% positive that any 6600GT will cream your 256mb 9600pro

Ok, so now I'm thinking this -

Getting a 6600gt, since it has been recommended to me.
Getting a new mobo, maybe one that is SLi compatible so I can maybe get a seond 6600gt to increase my framerates.
Get 512mb/1gb ram to increase my ram to 1gb/1.5gb

Now I need to know what a good brand is to get for a 6600gt. XFX looks good, except the only one I can find at the site that I get stuff at is AGP. Can someone go here and recommend one to me? http://www.ascent.co.nz

I also need someone to direct me in terms of ram and a mobo. I'm still at school, so I can't get any premium products, but I just need something that will do the job, that can overclock a little to give that little bit of omph, and something that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom