win 2k Pro OR win xp pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turkey29

Beta member
I have been running win2k pro since it came out. I am getting upgrades to mobo, cpu, ram. Would it be better to keep win 2k or upgrade to win xp pro?

Please post why you think which one is best.

Thanks

ps. I searched to forum and could not find a comparision. Win 98 to XP but not win 2k to win xp.

I definitely recomment going with XP. As long as you keep it up to date with any patches, you should go for a LONG time without crashing.

2000 Pro is a very good OS, however, XP is more than just the new thing, I work in the IT department at a life insrurance company, and work on computers with every OS from windows 95, to XP Pro.

2000 will work well for everything you want pretty well, but,

XP Pro makes everything so much easier to use, setup, use with any periphial, work with networks, and keep up to date and running great than 2000. In your case, I believe this depends on what hardware you are planning on running with the OS.

Everything from the stats of your MOBO, to your memory, and the CPU you are planning to upgrade to, will depend on how your system will run.

XP does not run differently because of "fluff," as mousepad so called it, XP can be tweak to hell if it is not running like you want it, you can disable countless resource-using settings that will stop the un-needed usage of resources.

Are you planning on purchasing XP Pro if you decide on using it? Or do you already have it, or will be recieving it from a friend? It sounds like XP is for you, but post your stats on your motherboard, and the memory you are planning to upgrade to, and the CPU you want to use, post what you have now, and what you will have after the upgrade, that info may help with your decision, based on what people think on here.

Hope this helps,

Blake

I have recently stepped back to Windows 2000 for liencing reasons. And there is some things that i am missing with Windows Xp.
- Active Restore, really useful. Especially when you have some annoying spy-ware or some other program that I regretted downloading off the internet.

- Remote Desktop - No avalable in Xp. (Or Not that I can find it). I find this tool really useful so I can log into work from home.

I do recommend Xp Pro over Xp Home if you are moving from one network to another. I have eXperienced Problems with XP Home where it will not let you join another network.

XP REMOTE

XP home and pro both have remote desktop, it is very simple and easy to use, lol.

Did you look in the control panel?

Right click my computer, and click on "REMOTE" tab, there is your remote desktop, it works well for XP, I use it at work all the time, goimg from different OS's, it's still very easy.

Blake

Re: XP REMOTE

blake67t said:
XP home and pro both have remote desktop, it is very simple and easy to use, lol.

Did you look in the control panel?

I'm not using XP currently on my beasties at home.
And I am normally playing around with XP Pro Boxes where is in the START --> PROGRAMS --> Assorisies --> Communication

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom