P4 2.6 GHz 400 FSB
ATI Radeon 256MB 9800XT AGP {Mobo only allows it to run 4X}
1.25 GB Ram {Rambus- rip off if you ask me, lol}

I was thinking about building this one
AMD 3700 San Diego
6600GT Or ATI Equivilent {i prefer ATI...Ive had both, and liked ATI the best}
2 GB Valueselect ram
Maybe a MSI K8N Neo4-F Mobo

My question is, will i notice very much difference in gaming performance or should i just hang on and wait for awhile?

Of course you would see some difference. The question should be whether it is worth it.

I see your biggest improvment being on your FSB. You will be moving from 400mhz to 1000mhz. After all, it doesn't matter how fast your memory and processor are if they can't communicate fast enough.

Overall your talking about completely technologies all around. AGP is in the past, so even if you get what would appear to be a similar graphics card, the PCIexpress will perform better.

I don't see 2GB being much of an improvment over 1.5GB though, especially if you're just running one game at a time. Memory->CPU connections just aren't fast enough.

~Justin

Major difference.

The CPU is equal to a 3.7GHz Intel. The 6800GT is a great fast card (and the GS ain't bad... and then there's the 7800's...).

Don't go with the Valueselect. Spend the extra bit of cash to get good RAM that can keep up with your other components.

2GB vs 1.5GB won't be noticable unless you're into a heavy memory game. But if it is Rambus, I don't think it will work in today's mobos.

I think you will, but first save enough for a 6800GS or a 7800GT. Soon they will be the standard, and the 6600GT will be the new 5200FX :p

go with the 7800GT, an antec PSU, some Patriot RAM or something and OC the 3700 to a 2.6GHz : ))))

Although that does sound like a good idea benny, some people just cant afford the 7800GT.

I recommend getting the eVGA 6800GS if you dont mind waiting and saving up some more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom