New PC with AMD 3700+ o/c

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartech

In Runtime
Hi, a friend of mine is just bying a new PC, he wants to overclock it a bit. So the question is that if the following config is fine to overclock?

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3700+
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 (nForce 4)
Memory: Samsung 2x512 Mb DDR 400 Mhz
HD: 200 GB SATA 2
Graphic Card: PCI-X GeForce 6600GT 256MB DDR3

The stock clock of the CPU seems to be 2.4 GHz, so if anyone familliar with this motherboard or CPU, tell how far it can be overclocked, and also, tell if there may be any conflicts doing so with mentioned above parts.

(The PC is still in the store, so it is the time to made some changes in the deal if neccesary)

If he has the option to, try to get a DFI lanparty board. Much better for overclocking. The 3700 runs at 2.2GHz stock, not 2.4. But anyway, the 3700 is a great overclocking chip. He can probably get around FX57 (2.8GHz) speeds easily if the motherboard isnt limiting him.

It's 939 socket, 2.2 GHz clock, my mistake.
But anyway. I just checked the BIOS of the same board on other PC and it's capable to change FSB (200 stock to 400), HT, and PCI-X clocks (I think memory as well), and also some wierd multiplier selector it has also customizable voltage controller.

And if the 400 Mhz memory will limit the overclocking the CPU? Is it limits the FSB, if so, it isn't problem, cause I don't think there is a reason to double the CPU speed ( I guess it won't be possible as well. Am I right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom