Processor Upgrade?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

rburns5

Beta member
I have a Biostar M6VCF motherboard which supports 66,100, and 133MGz frontside bus and frequency jumper settings of 2-8 multiplier. I have a celeron 800MGz/100MGz fsb processor installed now. I want to replace the processor with a 1AGHz/100MGz fsb on this same motherboard. Will I have to change the jumper settings to 133MGz fsb or can I just install it with the 100MGz fsb jumper setting. Also, I cant increase the speed frequency settings because it is already set to 8 multiplier, which is as high as the motherboard seems to go? Or can I not install any faster processor such as this 1AGHz period? Any help on this would be very much appreciated. Thanks:confused:

well to be honest, I'm not too sure what all you're talking about or what 1AGHz means but maybe we can help...

that motherboard supports intel celeron and pentium 3 processors with a FSB of 133MHz.... so any intel processor that does not exceed those specification should work. also, it supports up to 768 mb of ram, so I'd max that out to get the most out of your system.

Yes I already have the 1AGHz processor. I am considering installing it but not sure if that will cause any major problems. If the case is that it will just either work or not work, then I will try it. I just don't want to cause any damage to the board. Not worried about the 1A processor because it is used and besides, I have the 800MHz processor that I can put back in. I did buy this 1A on ebay! I typed the info in search and Intel's sight came up with the specs on the processor. The only difference I can see is that it is a 1GHZ instead of 800 and it also has 256KB on-die cache. The bus is the same on both. Should I go ahead and try it?

Yeah, as long is it is a Socket 370 CPU, it will work. Just because it is a 1 GHz CPU doesn't mean it will work...

OK, thanks for the info. I just figured since my motherboard manual only showed between 2-8 multiplier (8 times 100fsb) the 1AMHz processor would not work any faster than the 800MHz if it even worked at all. I am studying the CompTIA A+ certification books and I'm still learning stuff. I don't recall seeing anything in these books about multipliers anyway. I am going to go ahead and install the 1A and check it out. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom