Can I have 2 hard drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD6415

In Runtime
Right now I have a Raptor and that is great right now because I just got this computer a while ago but now that I have had it a while I have noticed that I am using up alot more room than I thought that I was going to. So my question is can I have 2 hard drives on my computer? Would it have to be another Raptor if I did get another hard drive or could it be any other kind. Also if I can do this would I be able to pick which hard drive I want to save to because i have alot of games on the raptor and I have a TON of music that I want to save main reason for the second hard drive. So would I be able to pick the second hard drive to save the music to or can I not have 2 hard drives at the same time?

As long as its compatible with your motherboard, yes you can have as many drives as the motherboard will support.

no, you don't need another raptor. Some people use a bigger hd for storage and sutff, while they get the raptor for speed.

I would have to say yes, you can add additional hard drive without issues, but that depends on your currnet setup.

What type of computer do you have? (Purchased, or built?)
Do you know what kind of motherboard you have?
How many open bays do you have in your case?

The WD Raptor drive is a Serial ATA (SATA) drive, and you should have at least 1 if not 2 or 3 open SATA ports on your motherboard. You probably also have IDE ports on the motherboard too.

As far as what kind of Hard Drive you can get, it doesn't really matter as long as it is either IDE or SATA.

It will be easier to give a more specific answer if you answer some of the questions I put at the top of my post.

I got my computer from IBUYPOWER. My motherboard is a (Foxconn Winfast NF4K8MC-ERS nVidia nForce4 Chipset w/5.1 sound, lan, S-ATA Raid,USB 2.0,IEE-1394 PCI-E ) is that what you needed? Also noone has answered this yet but would I be able to pick which one I want to save to? Also all I have to do is plug in the hard drive and go right or do i have to do something else thanks

I looked at my computer and I am pretty sure that i can have up to 4 hard drives so all I have left to ask is would I be able to pick which one I want to save to and all I have to do is plug in the hard drive and go right or do i have to do something else thanks

No, the Maxtor drive will not come with everything you need... its JUST the hard drive. (Peronally, I would stay away from Maxtor... I would recommend Western Digital or Seagate over Maxtor).

Yes, you can pick whichever drive you want (as long as it is IDE or SATA).. As far as hardware goes, if you buy an OEM drive, it is JUST the drive. If you get a RETAIL drive, you get screws for mounting it to the drive rails, and it MIGHT come with a data cable. I can't remember this though, cause I know usually motherboards come with the cables. As far as the power cable goes, depending on what is available in your case, you may or may not need a Y adaptor to get an extra feed for the hard drive.

If you get an OEM drive, here is a page of data cables you can get.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&description=&srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice=

Here is a page of the POWER cable you will need for a SATA drive (if you don't have a free one in your case. Note that this is a DIFFERENT connector than the 4 pin MOLEX connector.)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...er+adaptor&srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice=5.0

If you can snap a picture of the inside of your case, and show all of the unused cords from the power supply, we will be able to tell you if you will need the SATA Power adaptor cable or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom