Cheapest overclocking 2gb RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrZucchiniHead

Daemon Poster
ok i need to lower the price of my computer cause i still want other thing with my 1200$ so insted of buying G.SKILL extreme serier 2gb.
so could anyone mention the cheapest 2gb dual channel kit for some good overclocking?

There is some G-Skill value RAM at newegg selling for $148 I believe. Some people have reported very high overclocks, however quite a bit of voltage is required. How much are you willing to spend?

Don't get the 2GB. It will just slow your computer down. Go for 1GB of faster ram. I think using 2gb of Ram right now is like a 256mb fx5200 video card. It just doesn't make sense!

Ace No-Money said:
Don't get the 2GB. It will just slow your computer down. Go for 1GB of faster ram. I think using 2gb of Ram right now is like a 256mb fx5200 video card. It just doesn't make sense!

Uh, wrong. 2GB will make your pc faster, but overclocks won't be as high.

You're right, it won't make it slower but it will not make much of a difference unless you use your system for like CAD, or playing FEAR and DOOM 3 while buring a movie and and running PRIME 95 at the SAME TIME, lol.

Ace I have to disagree, if you're building a new computer now it would be good to go with 2 gb of ram. FEAR at max uses it definitly, so will BF2 and a few other games when you max them out. Future applications will definitly take advantage of 2 gb.

As for the thread starter, I dont know of any cheaper ram off the top of my head. Try searching for a price range on newegg.

You can always get value ram and try some miniman OCs, it wont be as good but itll be a lot cheaper.

Ok I think Ace needs a good slap upside his head for being unexperienced and still talking.

If you had actually tried 2 gigs of ram and used them in the memory intensive games of today you would not have said anything close to what you did.

I had 1 gig of ram and i upgraded to 2. The difference in BF2 and FEAR is HUGE!! I realize you can play them very well with 1 gig of ram especially if you get a good gig that can OC well. You can definately get higher OCs with 1 gig of ram but if you get 2 decent gigs of ram games will play MUCH better.

Ok I think I need to go to sleep. I have been up all night and am bichy :p.

The difference in overclockability between 1GB and 2GB is decreasing. For example there is 2GB of Muskin RAM at newegg right now for $199 that is DDR500 and people are even reporting getting clocks up to 270MHz. That's really fast and I doubt you'd be able to overclock 2x512MB sticks much farther.

Lol, ok, ok, I give up :p. You are definately right about the new future apps. being able to use 2GB, especially as the 64bit Windows OS becomes more popular. And I am sure games like FEAR with HIGH settings turned on use a ton of resources, but Since I am Ace "No-Money" I will not be going for 2GB for my rig anytime soon. :)
I do know one thing for sure, I can't wait to get my CPU heatsink in the mail so I can turn on my Athlon 3000+ machine for the first time! YEAH!
Peace!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom