ultra ata card pci 133 or pci 100?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sergiofar

Baseband Member
I have a 160 gb wd hd and an 80 gb wd hd. I was told that i would be better off (would be faster) connecting them through a pci card to my motherboard. I also want to connect an extra cdrw (i have a dvd +- burner and a dvd rom), and need the extra connection so it makes sense to me. I am unsure what type I need the pci 133 or pci100, as i do not know if the pci 100 supports hd that are bigger than 137gb? someone please help!

100 and 133 are interface type. 133 is 133MB/sec which is faster. the operating system and filing system is what determines what size volumes are supported.

you do not need to get a PCI card if you already have IDE controllers on the mobo. it will not make your system faster. i don't understand why they would tell you this.

if you don't have enough IDE ports, you will need another PCI card, and getting an ATA133 card will be backward compatible with ATA100, so you shouldn't have any probs with it

apokalipse said:
if you don't have enough IDE ports, you will need another PCI card, and getting an ATA133 card will be backward compatible with ATA100, so you shouldn't have any probs with it

Corect me if im wrong, do you mean that i can add an addtional HDD or a CDrom by simply buying an additional IDE PCI Card? I havent thought this is possible since i really want to add a CDrom and a HDD on my system. so what would it be, if i have one PCI card plus the existing IDE controller from the MOBO, i can have a 3 primary drive and 3 secondary drive (whic of course you can add more through partitioning) on a single PC? :confused:

Thx for all the help, I finally got it to work and i set it up the way i had intended in the first place. Needed to make sure computer booted up in the right sequence (hard drive connected to ata card and not look for it on ide on mobo). Replying to your question "Press_F1" yes. I
AMD 2500+ barton
ECS l7s7a2 mobo
Promise ultra ata pci 100 tx2
80 gig hd wd (set to master on pci card)
160 gig hd wd (set to slave on pci card)
chaintech gefroce fx 5200
Sony drua510a +-
dvd rom
cdrw
2x512 mb of geil golden dragon ddr 400

If any one can tell me if i need to change anything it would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom