Building a new computer..

Status
Not open for further replies.

j0shua50

Solid State Member
Alright, Im building a new computer. Ive been buying many of my supplies from tigerdirect, I found to be a great computer online store. Well Im scared of going ahead and buying a motherboard, because I dont know to much about them. But I found a mother board on tigerdirect.com in my price range (about 100$). But if anyone would like to help me..here are the links to the products I want to buy..If you could tell me this products will be good. My Computer will be used for just a normal desktop, and I want it to be pretty fast..but not to expensive..Here is the link to the mother Board I am considering buying http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1696707&CatId=0 . This next link is the link for the CPU I am probably going to buy (Im not the much of a gamer, so I really dont think an AMD will do to much..and they are way to expensive..) http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1519769&CatId=1973 . Another question. Ive been looking at graphics cards. Most likely Ill be going with the geforce series..6600..which company makes the best 6600 card for the amount of money..thanks to how ever helps me!

If you want to go Intel, go Intel. Be aware of how hot they get and plan on buying some good aftermarket cooling.

Do not buy from TigerDirect with a rebate in mind. They are extremely lax about getting them out (if they send one at all).

If your going to go Intel, don't get a Celeron. Go with a full fledged P4. They are more expensive, but having the ability to hyper-thread is worth it.

what is hyperthreading?? and what is wrong with the celeron?..and Ive bought from tiger direct many times with no hassel at all...?

Hyperthreading is when the CPU acts like two instead of one. It allows better multi-tasking.

Celerons are basically gutted P4s. Their onboard caches are about a fourth of a P4s, which afects how well they can do many tasks (it slows them down, since they can't have the instructions they need onhand).

TigerDirect has a very bad rep around here for taking forever to send a rebate, or not honoring rebates from them. They use an outside company to handle them, so it doesn't hurt TigerDirect itself.

Many Canadians here recommend ncix.com (I think that's how it's spelled).

well comparing the celeron to the p4...lets say I have a 3.2ghz celeron processor...about what P4 cpu would be around the same speed..becuase I bassically just want a fast computer

you have to also keep in mind that..I have a stict budget...so thats why I was looking at the celeron. Ive been looking at these hyperthreading. and they are very expensive..

A P4 2.8GHz will probably outperform a 3.2GHz Celeron.

I could be wrong of course, but that sounds about right.

An AMD 3200+ Venice sells for $169 on NewEgg, a 3.2GHz Intel sells for $214. The 3200+ will perform as well as if not better than the 3.2GHz. So... exactly how is AMD more expensive?

well, Im not the formiliar with CPUs, that would be why Im here. I dont want an AMD, I want an Intel. Intel is all Ive ever had..and Im not much for trying anything new. How is 2.8ghz P4 as fast as a 3.2ghz. Isnt that ghz how fast the CPU is? and if a P$ is better. where can I find the cheapest site for a CPU?

Because I cannot stress this enough:
THE MEGAHERTZ WARS ARE OVER!!! CLOCKSPEEDS MEAN NOTHING TO AMD!!!

AMD processors are simply more efficent than Intel's procs.

well, Im not the formiliar with CPUs, that would be why Im here. I dont want an AMD, I want an Intel. Intel is all Ive ever had..and Im not much for trying anything new.
Well, that's an informed opinion, right there...[/sarcasm]

well Ive read that AMD is a gamers CPU... explain to me why AMD is better..and for the same speed and effciency as a P4 3.2 what a good AMD cpu would be....and the price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom