video failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

anglosaxon42

Beta member
Hi,

I'm a fairly strong computer literate user, and I recently upgraded my system with an NVidia 6600 GT graphics card. This was self installed and worked well for about a month untill it just started to stop working correctly. One day I play whatever game I want, and it runs fine, the next and until this point whenever I load up any game, be it Dungeon Siege II, Age of Mythology, Call of Duty 2, I will get a strange garbled flashing behind my regular display. In Dungeon Siege it appears only in the initial menu screen where everything flickers and will occasionally flash out of perspective. In Call of Duty I only get it when I get in-game whern I get flashes and streaking from the centre of my screen and it appears like texture models flash black from beneath objects. This problem is universal and occured withing a single day. I updated the drivers and there was no change. I haven't ruled out that it could be something other than the hardware, like a display setting that was changed for some reason, but I don't know.

My computer specs are as follows:
AMD Athlon 64bit Processor 3000+
Windows XP Service Pack 2
NVidia 6600 GT 128Mb grapgics card
512Mb RAM
Maxtor 160Gb HD
Asus K8NS Pro motherboard

Obviously any help will be appreciated

It could be your moniter

Ok if your screen is flickering check your refresh settings. You can change them by right clicking your desktop, then go to properties, then at the far right click on settings, then click on Advanced, after you select Advanced go to the moniter folder instead of the General folder then change your screens refresh rates till your moniter stops messing up. It might not be the refresh rates though so this is just an idea. Hope it helps.

I changed my refresh rate all over and I still have the same problems. It's not as if everything my monitor shows is messed up, it's as if the graphics card either can't render a certain type of graphics or has had that ability switched off. Whenever a certain type of graphical language or 3D animation is required to play, that's when the card messes up. If there is no remedy for this, the card is under a 1 year waranty and I will try and return it on the premiss that it was a defective card. Any other alternatives would be better though.

How would I go about resetting the card? I uninstalled the drivers, and pulled the card out of my machine and reinstalled it, but I'm not sure if that's what you are referrring to.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom