i'm going to cry. graphic problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiaNinja

Beta member
hey everyone. baffling baffling problem for me here.

system:
* cpu=amd athlon64 3800+ Dual Core (2.2ghz)
* mobo=asus a8n sli premium
* ram=1gb ram dual channel (2x512mb)
* vga=winfast px 6600gt tdh (128mb)
* tv tuner=winfast dvt 1000

i guess this is all you need to know about my system for this problem, but yeah i'm really stumped. it's quite a random problem i've never experienced before and i get a lot of mixed answers when asking around so i'm gonna try here as well. thanks for your time.

first noticeable problem is after a few games of Warcraft III: Frozen Throne, my graphics turn spikey and laggy. like freezes then moves... in, say, 2sec cycles. at the same time, when i move my mouse off the screen, the screen INSTANTLY moves ALL THE WAY to the OTHER SIDE of the map... for all those that play warcraft or any other strat game, the screen should only move smoothly in the direction of where the cursor is moving off the screen. i restart my computer then the problem is gone for another few games.

another problem is when i watch tv on my comp it does the same sorta graphics lag spike thingy as in warcraft after a few minutes of watching. other problems such as sound jus dropping out completely occur and eventually the application jus shows a black screen.

these problems arise even when no other applications are running other than the ones i'm using. (such as warcraft and winfast dtv). another thing to note is that the graphics resolution or colour don't degrade. the graphics still look really good... just the performance seems to backslide.

this computer is fairly new and i built it myself. a few answers i've been getting are here: (with my responses jus to save you time of asking these questions)
* registry problem? (i've played around with my registry and used automated registry programs like registry mechanic and doesn't make the problem better or worse)
* other apps screwing with my comp? (cubase sx3, limewire pro, bitcomet) ... to this i really don't know how that would interfere with graphics. but these graphics problems didn't arise when my comp was newly built without these apps i mentioned(yes, one of the first apps i install on a new comp is warcraft :p )...
* ram problem? (no idea what to say but... I HAVE ONE GIG!)
* graphics card problem? one guy told me that with new graphics cards at old memory sizes like 128mb are designed in such a way that the memory isn't refreshed so that using graphics intensive programs for prolonged periods of times will cause problems... is this true? it makes me wonder because my old comp was crap ... i had a p4 2.4ghz, 512mb ram comp with a radeon 9600xtg 128mb agp card and i could leave my comp on for weeks and play endless warcraft games and not have any problems... maybe just running slower slightly over time... but nothing like these annoying problems i experience now.
* virus? (trust me. i don't have any virus or spyware problems)
* not enough free hard drive space?

i guess that's it... so yeah... is it simply my graphics card not meeting the demands i set on my computer? do i need to get a new one? if so i'd like someone to elaborate on what the guy said about new 128 graphics cards running worse than old 128mb graphics cards...

the answer being that my graphics card just isn't good enough seems to be the answer that makes most sense though i REALLY don't wanna buy a new one. and it's supposed to be better than my old radeon... but why did my old radeon never give me these problems... RAHHHHH i wanna cry...

nah it's in a tsunami case. and according to nvmonitor it's only at 35degrees... speakin of which nvidia ntune is the software that auto-overclocked i think? and that app came with the mobo...
anythin else?

btw the tv lags 5min after i open the tv app... also when the comp is newly restarted.

check cpu usage when it lags up. there could be some process stealing cycles. it may be spyware or a virus. but the delay in graphics you describe sounds a lot like what can happen when a graphics card overheats. use a framerate monitor like fraps to find out if it is an actual drop in frame rate or just some strange delay

umm i checked it and yeah there's no drop in frame rate... must be another strange delay thing then ....

btw thanks for helpin me out

its no problem, glad if i can help. i know i'm obsessive but like i said this sounds like a problem i've seen in overheating cards, mine keeps a constant framerate yet after a few hours when it starts heating up it starts to lag similarly to yours although i wouldn't say quite as violently but still more than noticeable. so for now see what you can do about keeping that card cool and see if it makes a difference.

edit: although having the problem as soon as it starts up doesn't fit that equation

Did you check the power supply that you had? If your power supply isn't sufficant for what the graphic card needs it may be a bit slow... I only thought of this cause my computer only has a 300w power supply with an ATI radeon X800pro graphics card that I installed. I can honistly say alot of times when my computer is slower than I feel it should be, I blame it on the low power supply.

sounds like the cards getting to hot. are you running the latest drivers? you might turn down the card settings and see if that makes any difference,also try running it with the side panel off so you can see if heat is a problem.

Why don't you take this card and exchange it for another one just like it? Bad quality computer parts are as common as cell phones now a days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom