Is it possible to order your start up items?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeRuler99

purveyor of fine cheeses
I was wondering if it was possible to have some sense of order or routine in the way that the applications that start when I turn on my computer open.

It seems each time they open in a different order, and some could really benefit from starting after other ones - ie. MSN Messenger opening after my wireless network application.

you could replace your startup entries with a batch file, but all apps would prolly try to load at almost the same time. this could cause a momentary system freeze and/or problems with the apps loading.

Warez Monster said:
I would disble everything in your startup except your antivirus, it will load faster

Will this badly affect programmes that have start up items?

I have a heck of a lot of start up applications and background processes, how do I tell which are bad and which are good?

post a screen shot and Ill tell ya. All you need in the startup is your antivirus and firewall

SupremeRuler99 said:
Will this badly affect programmes that have start up items?

I have a heck of a lot of start up applications and background processes, how do I tell which are bad and which are good?

No..turn em all off!! When your computers boots you will say WOWZA..As warez mentioned the only thing you want starting up with windows is Anti Virus. Any computer I work on at work or personal I always do this as the first thing. I say no program should be running unless you tell it to. With the exception of virus scan that is.

I guess what you could do if you really need them all running is go to msconfig>startup, uncheck everything but your antivirus reboot, then go back and check the next entry you want, reboot, and so on, or you can add them to the startup folder in ALL PROGRAMS

Warez Monster said:
I guess what you could do if you really need them all running is go to msconfig>startup, uncheck everything but your antivirus reboot, then go back and check the next entry you want, reboot, and so on, or you can add them to the startup folder in ALL PROGRAMS

I just went through and unticked all the startup and service applications that I don't want. After re-starting, some of them have turned themselves back on. Are they needed, or are they just being persistant?

When I'm turning off service applications do I ignore Microsoft services, or turn some of them off too?

Onle a few will come back like if you have office, cftmon will be back. You can download msconfig cleanup and it will remove those entries for you after your uncheck them. Leave the services alone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom