Amd 2600+ 266 or 333MHZ BUS ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterJason

In Runtime
Hi im a bit confused about amd 2600+ cpu i saw some places say amd 2600+ 266mhz bus ans 2600+ 333mhz bus. Why are they dirrerent please explain the differences. Im asking that also because od the ram will 400mhz ram run at 333mhx on a 333mhz cpu.

there are two versions 266 & 333, they are not contradictory. get the 2600+ that runs at 333Mhz FSB. CPU and memory run on independant busses. if your motherboard says it has a max 333Mhz FSB for CPU and max 400Mhz FSB for memory than you are okay. a 333Mhz FSB for CPU will run fine with 400Mhz FSB memory. not need to match FSB.

So the rule here is...

It's ok to use memory that's rated higher (fsb) but not a processor that's got a higher fsb?

no the rule is: whatever the max your motherboard supports for anything whether it is memory, cpu, AGP(2x,4x,8x), USB(1.1 or 2.0), ect is what you can use. let me rephrase, you can use whatever the motherboard supports.

It's better to run the two at same speed because its more efficient, cause I believe than the FSB is bottlenecking the RAM because the RAM is feeding information faster than the FSB can handle right??:confused:

Actually, I think the ram slows down to the processor speed. It just seems to make more since. Although, I do think it bottlenecks when the ram is slower than the cpu. I know this because I just bought ram that goes the same speed as my mobo fsb.

YES, because the FSB can only handle 333mhz or lower, if you buy DDR400 it will only be read as DDR333. It is always best to match your Memory speed with you FSB for maximum efficiency;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom