WinXP Load Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthraX

Daemon Poster
Alright, last night we had a pretty bad storm where I live. I was playin CS at the time, didn't notice that there was a storm going on, and boom, power went out, then back again.

This morning I try turning on my computer, it turns on just fine, I get to the logon screen and type in my password. It starts the logon process and all it does is just show my wallpaper. I leave it there for a little while to try and kink it self out maybe. Come back in about 5 minutes, no luck.

This is when I decided to do a repair install. Everything goes fine, the only weird part was the 'Installing Devices' part. It hung for about 10 - 15 minutes and my screen flickered about 3 times (each flicker was about a minute apart). Then it finished, and I was happy. Until I started to load Windows again. I get a Blue Screen of Death when loading the OS. Stop error: 0x0000007B. I went here and found out the problem was an "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE". Before I had gone there, I ran Memtest86+ on my RAM with no errors and WD's Diagnostics Tools on my Hard Drive and found no errors.

After I found what the error code meant I tried my hard drive on the other channel, and with a new cable. I doubted this would work, but I tried anyway. After that I tried booting my hard drive on another system. Same thing happend.

This all tells me that my Windows install is corrupt. I don't know too much about this sort of problem. Can anyone help me? I really do not want to reformat. I reformatted a couple months ago, and it took me forever to get everything installed and the way I like it.

Oh, I forgot to mention up there, that it will NOT boot in safe mode or any other mode as well.

I think you're only option when it comes to a corrupted Windows install is to a) Do a repair install or b) Reformat and reinstall. Beyond that I can't think of much else that would help.

Spork 2.0 said:
I think you're only option when it comes to a corrupted Windows install is to a) Do a repair install or b) Reformat and reinstall. Beyond that I can't think of much else that would help.

true

XP Repair install

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, read this Warning#2!
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Yeah, I had mentioned that did a repair install a couple times with no luck.

In any case, I ended up reformatting. I made a Ghost image of my C partition. Next time it'll be a lot faster to get XP going again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom