Screensavers and dual screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

machado17

Solid State Member
I'm not sure if I'm posting this question in the correct place, so forgive me if I'm not. I have dual screens and am running XP Home. The XP screensavers work on both screens, but I have a couple of other 3D screensavers that I really love, but they don't work on both screens. Does anyone know how to make that happen? The screensavers are 3D Winter Screensaver and 3D Solar System Screensaver. Thanks.

Do you have you monitors set up to work as 1 big desktop or are they set up to work seperate from each other?

That is the deciding factor on how it is going to be done. Also is you setup with 1 Video Card or 2?

I think I know where you're going with this, because I was messing around with the settings on my video card. I only have one, an NVIDIA GForce. I noticed that if I make it be one big desktop, the screensaver will stretch across both. But now I have to get used to that configuration. I was hoping to keep them as two seperate monitors and somehow get the screensaver to turn on at the same time on both, but seperately, so it wouldn't look distorted. It's either not possible, or I can't figure it out.

If I do not stretch the desktop, the monitors function seperately. The mouse travels across them both, but it shows whatever I chose for the desktop picture seperately on each monitor. However, when the screensaver comes on, it's only on one monitor and the other monitor continues to display the desktop. I leave my computer on all day and that's why I'd like the screensaver to work on both screens. I downloaded one that claims that it works with dual screens, but all it does is center itself in the middle where the two screens meet and it doesn't really look nice.

I tried cloning it also, but then I end up with two of everything.... meaning that every time I open an application, it opens up on both screens. That's not really functional for me, since I'm using the dual screens to multi-task and run different applications on each.

I'm surprised that the screensaver software developers haven't really addressed this yet. Many people use dual screens. I know of some people who have more than two. Microsoft has designed the XP screensavers to work on both, so I'm sure the others could too.

you are asking a lot. you want one part to extend but the other part to clone (the screen saver part). MS develop the software, so they know that people want this feature, but a screen saver software developers might not have it hook up to dual monitors

I think, I'll leave the desktop stretched. So the screensaver will be on both monitors, even though it's a bit distorted. Guess I'll have to wait for the screensaver developers to take this into consideration in the future. But thanks for your help.

Well i can say that the only way to get 2 desktops and 2 screensavers is to use 2 Video Cards. Other than that you are either cloning or stretching. There is a way to force a new desktop and that on the second monitor but i dont know for sure how to do it. Other than that you are stuck like me using one desktop image for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom