Help with network

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeIranianKid

In Runtime
Hey guys after succesfully building my first comp thnx to all the help here i connected it to the other computer through a router and my internet speed went to crap can anyone help me and i ran a speed test and my download speed was 100 kb/s on dsl im at a loss any help would be appreciated

Try optimizing performance in your router's settings. Also, see that there are not a lot of inteferences between the router and your computer, specifically wireless phones, some microwaves, and sheets of metal. Obviously wireless performance is usually not going to be the same as the if your computer was connected to a physical internet wire, that is closer to your computer to start with.

You have DSL, but what package do you have? there are a bunch of different ones with varying bandwidth's.... Also, how is your network set up? Wired? Wireless? How many hosts do you have on the network? If it wireless, do you have neighbors that are close to you house & do you have it set so that not just anyone can gain access to your wireless?

What site did you use to gauge your speed? How far are you from the Serving Central Office? Does your ACTUAL perform better than the test suggested, or is it really sluggish. You can always call your ISP to ensure that you have the correct bandwidth.

we have 1200 kb/s dsl and im connected to the router wired i don't have wireless and yeah its performing really slow too

if you connection via another machine to ur router i would suggest plugging ur pc straight into the router

Hook it up to the modem directly and see if it gets normal speed.

If it does, then it ain't your computer running slow. If it doesn't, there's your problem.

Also, make sure that your router is configured correctly. I don't have one, so I don't know how it should be. I do know it isn't configured right, it doesn't work right.

Try unhooking the other computer and seeing it that helps.

Be sure that you have all of the right drivers for all of your stuff (broadband, whatever)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom