HAPPY B-DAY TOOOO ME...har

Status
Not open for further replies.
Memory and hard drives are both very different. The more 150GB raptors you have in RAID, the faster it will be. The 32-bit windows XP does technically support 4gb, but only 3gb will show up. The other GB is used for managing the insane ammount of RAM. The reason it will be slower is because 4gb is more RAM than the computer will know what to do with, try to cache way to many things in the RAM, and it's very complicated to explain, and I don't fully understand the details of it, but all you need to know is this:
On a 32-bit OS, 2GB is faster than 4GB. He can put the other 2GB in another computer or something, mabey even sell it.

I just bought winxp 64bit edition

*runs to get the other sticks of ram*

damnit, this means that Ill have to reload everything...CRAP

Well then return it right away. It's got lots of problems. With that OS, it will recognize all the RAM, but programs still won't support it properly because they're all still 32-bit. Running a 32-bit program on a 64-bit OS does not make the program 64-bit. And the fact remains that the computer will still have more RAM than it knows what to do with, so it will still be slowed down by trying to cache to many things in RAM. Despite what most people here think, it's very hard to max 1GB of RAM. 2GB is already overkill, and 4GB is just so much that it actually slows the PC down because the memory controller is stressed so much with 4 sticks of 1GB RAM.

be that as it may, I still want to snoop around in a 64 bit environment...its the principal of the thing. I was also wondering how it would deal with the latest Longhorn beta (which, as we know, has more bugs than files)

He could mount 2 gigs. And throw the windows paging file there.
That would super fast.

Although... this whole tread seems like a fishing story to me.

003 said:
ATI is also susposed to be releasing something around the time of the G80 as well.

R600 comes out near the end of the year.

You're not really implying that anything in the R5-- series is going to be a challenge for a GeForce 8, are you?

Thats like comparing the X850XTPE to a 7800GTX.

Flanker said:
You're not really implying that anything in the R5-- series is going to be a challenge for a GeForce 8, are you?
No, what made you think that? I just heard they are releasing something around the time of the G80, but I couldnt remember the name.

Well anything with R500 in its name shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as the GeForce 8 :)

...****...I just did that, didn't I? *slaps himself*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom