CPU usage constantly at 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

hinker

Baseband Member
I did all the scans like spybot, adaware, AVG, and HJT and they were all clean. I restarted in safe mode and they were still clean. I checked the CPU usage in safe mode and it was just fine. This is really making my computer almost unusable because it is so slow. Anyone know how to fix this? There is nothing under the task manager that is using a big chunk of the CPU either.

What OS and what kind of processor are you using? I can't imagine the OS itself pushing it that hard but I have seen stranger things.

XP SP2. AMD 64 3000+

It just started yesterday afternoon. It is really annoying because I can't do anything on the computer because it takes so long. I have 1024 mb of ram also.

go to the start menu and open run. type "msconfig" without the quote marks. select diagnostic startup. that should disable anything unnecessary from loading. if that cures the problem use msconfig to add things back one by one until you find out what is causing the problem. get to know this little program because it can be very useful.

I did that, but even when I booted into diagnostic startup it was still at 50%. In the regular startup after I only am running the basic processes, it is around 80-90% all the time. Would defragging help at all, or running disk cleanup?

Are there any processes listed in the task manager that are using up such a high percentage of the processor?

Download Process Explorer , that will tell you exactly what it using up so much of the processor resources and then you can go from there.

I ran that program and under the CPU column the only thing that is using it is the System Idle process, Interrupts, and DPC's. Services.exe sometimes blinks with 1.5. I don't know what else to do, hopfully someone can help me.

How much is Interrupts and DPC's using?

Have you added any new hardware lately?

Do you have a NIC or a wireless adapter card?

Interrupts around 50 DPC 25. I have installed a new hard drive a few weeks ago, but it worked fine after i installed it. I do have a wireless adapter card that i have been using for about a year though.

I'm having the same problem as you are, and it ended up being my wirless adapter. What you need to do is go into the Device Manager, right click on the wireless adapter and disable it. If the CPU usage goes down, then you know what your problem is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom