Bad Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juice Daddy

Fully Optimized
I was DJing for homecoming lastnight... the dance was somewhat of a disaster, I was contacted only two days before to do it(short notice), although I had plenty of music, we couldn't set up a good speaker system so we had to use the 'tweeters' on the gym ceiling... those sounded awful, many people didn't show up, and several people left minutes after it started... towards the end it was all pretty much a joke... then with about 15 minutes left my pc just shuts off, I moved around to the other side of the table to see what was wrong, I picked up the extension cord, it made a harsh crackling noise, I dropped it put my foot over the end and pulled the cord out, about then my psu made a much louder pop, so I immediately flipped off the back switch, opened the side panel and unplugged it from the motherboard...smoke everywhere... lol, thatÂ’s about the time I turned around and stated "partyÂ’s over" by then, hardly anyone was there...so... I got a screwdriver and removed the very hot psu... opened it up and verified its death...,

Oh well..., I still get paid, and they offered and extra $30 to help replace it... I gratefully accepted....

So....

WhatÂ’s the best psu I can get for $30-$50?

Preferably 500W or higher...
Blue lights would be nice...
edit: I also want to be able to use it in a future build

btw, my pc still works fine... but temporarily useing only a 250W psu...

Sorry about your PC, but I hope my homecoming doesn't blow like that. And that's not in reference to you, but to the lamers that didn't come and left.

FPS Group makes VERY good budget power supplies. They even underrate themselves in terms of power, you can add about 25-30% to what it actually says. I recommend this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104954

And no, that one you posted is not very good. I would post the power supply guide on XS, but they are down right now because they are doing some upgrades to the server.

For the money you're looking to spend you're not going to find one of those flashy psu's thats a decent quality. You'll just end up back to this point.

WhatÂ’s the best psu I can get for $30-$50?

I'm using a ThermalTake TR2 PSU its 430W and its very stable. i haven't had a crash since i bought it. Its a little less than $50 on newegg.

If you have no money, i highly reccomend it.

Sw1tCh[FX] said:
I'm using a ThermalTake TR2 PSU its 430W and its very stable. i haven't had a crash since i bought it. Its a little less than $50 on newegg.

If you have no money, i highly reccomend it.

I like that one...
especially the sleeved cords...

being 430W, will I get decent performace out of it? I have 2cd/dvd drives, 2 hard drives, tv tuner card, 6600gt, floppy disk drive... and several usb things plugged in...

my old one (although crap) was 450W... or does that matter?

any chance that fan can be upgraded to have lights in it? or is it sauderd on the chip?(probably not a problem though)

and when I decide to build a new pc, do you think it will be compatable?

You could probably just open the case on it and replace the fans with an LED lit fans, but keep in mind that opening up a power supply will mean the warranty is void.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom