playing dvd in windows media player trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkolk

In Runtime
so i recently built a new computer, i installed a variety of codec packs, including k-lite and combined community codec pack, i have windows media player 10, but when i go to open a dvd movie in windows media player it wont open, it gave me an error which tells me a dvd decoding thingy is not working. i got a download from microsoft that tells me what video decoding things i got and it tells me my mpeg2 decoder isnt compatible.
So first it wasnt opening at all, i went into windows media player tools->options->dvd tab-> advanced and enabled mpeg2 decoder which wasnt previously enabled, and checked dvd decoding box. Next to the dvd decoding box it says "not working properly". When i did these things, it opens up the DVD but no picture is there.

It also wont let me play it in interactual player which is installed off the DVD itself. I got VLC media player that a friend recommended and it plays the DVD, but i want it to play in the other players too like it used to.
What did i do, or didnt i do to make DVD movies work in windows media player.

under the decoder in the windows media player option it says "libavcodec" under every format thats enabled and then theres others that are disabled(random formats like vcr1,scq1.)

how do i uninstall it, its not in the add/remove programs list, and i dont see anything in the folder which it was installed to uninstall

I was just gonna say that about PowerDVD. I simply install it, and MediaPalyer instantly recognizes DVD's.

I find it funny that in order for Media Player to have some sort of functionality playing video files, it AT LEAST needs the Divx codecs.

How did you uninstall WMP 10?

How did you uninstall WMP 10? I'd like to try a reinstall.

Whenever I tried (maybe my first time after upgrading from WMP 9) to play a movie video in WMP 10 the audio was absent but the picture was fine....so I downloaded a 30 day trial of nVidia and it worked fine....that is until my free trial expired. Now the PICTURE AND audio won't work. I'm worse off now than before I tried nVidia. At least initially the video was there!

How can I get WMP 10 to play movie dvd's with video and audio? When I try to watch a dvd movie in WMP 10 a window pops up saying "Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer".

I went to the MS Windows Plug-in Page and MS say the following:

"MP3 encoding support is included at no cost with Windows Media Player 10". What do you suppose this means because I sure can't find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom