problem after upgrades, URGENT PLEASE RESPOND!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
all plugs are in all the way, and everything worked fine for about 4 days until now.

could this possibly be a problem of free space?

my dad thinks taht since the drive has 2% of 74GB its somehow a space problem... but ive seen it with 30kb of free space still functioning... could this be the case?

if it is a free space problem, would freeing up space and defragging fix it?

Did you back up all your information? If you did that's great because your drive is going to crap out on you soon. To replace a harddrive is fairly straight forward. Check what interface it is, if it's being connected to the motherboard via a long big ribbon like cable then it's IDE, if it's a small thin cable the its SATA.

i havent backed up all data... because my dad thinks its a problem of free space... and the drive is very full and fragmented..

could that cause this?

also, he says when a drive dies its a random clicking thing, and this is a rythmic pattern-like clicking, so he thinks thats not it... is he right or am i? i think its dying, and we should backup and make a trip to comp USA for a new HDD...

by the way, reggie_da_man, in response to youre idea to listen to the drive, when its clicking it clicks the 4 times, lays dormant, does it again, stops, then itworks fine, then about 15 seconds later it stops. clicks 4 times, clicks 4 times, clicks 4 times, then stop, then it works, and over and over. in between the sets of 4 clicks all HDD spinning stops completely.

I would say to be on the safe side, back up any IMPORTANT info you have on the drive.... Then try running a Scandisk, and also a defrag. Is the clicking something that has started only since you have had problems, or has it always done that? I heard my brothers dell (fairly new) and the hard drive does make an audible noise when it is reading/writing, but it isn't anything that sounds really abnormal.

It is also possible that since your using so much of the drive's capacity, and (guessing) you haven't defraged it in a while (if ever), the drive could just be trying to access data... Not sure though. Hard drives are really cheap though, wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up a new one.

As far as filesharing goes.... If you only have ONE PC, I wouldn't do it unless you have some really decent firewall & virus scan software... I have multiple PC's, and I have P2P software on one of my lesser PC's, so that if it pukes, I can format / re-install, and not be withough a PC.

Ok here, download everst home edition and on the tab on the left click on storage. It should unfold into like 7 different things, at the bottom it should say "SMART". Check the drive's condition there.

the condition just developed. very recently, before it did make noise when reading/writing, but this is very rythmic and distinctive, i would have noticed a rythmic noise coming out my case and the computer freezing during the time of the clicks XD

it will be kind of hard to run everst home edition reggie... as it took me 5 hours to transfer 13 word docs to a backup disk. (not cd, ipod)

by the way, we just freed up about 20gb of space, defragged the thing, after it FINISHEd defragging (32 hours) it still had the problem.

you will need to get a new HD and reinstall the OS. then you might be able to access some of the old files on the old drive and copy them to the new before it goes completely dead. I seriously doubt you have the equipment to repair the drive. the only way would be to remove the platters from inside and put them into a identical HD that works. not worth it unless there is classified material on the drive.(government stuff)

Dude, that sucks, your hard drive is going to die very soon. Transfer all or a lot of files that you need overnight.

Dell UPGRADE

Good luck, Dell does not play well with others. Don't get me wrong I'm no guru by any means, BUT, out of absolute necesity I just built a new high end pc for my business. We have a dell 4600 dimesion at one of our motels, and I tried for months to get it to run, with no luck. first of all the problem was that some employees were surfing in places they shouldn't and got it bombarded with every virus and trojan known to man (exag).
Tried to wipe and reload with no luck at all, finally found a tech here in East Texas, (And my friends theres not many if any others)
who took it to his shop and it took him 3 months to get it up and kicking, all because I wanted some upgrades done. So needless to say its back on line... slow and ridiculous as ever. The necessity part of the story is this, there was one other tech place of any reputation at all that I used for 18 mos after moving here, and after having all three company computers hacked , used as zombies, and a free server for stolen internet I found out it was the damned people who repaired it every 30-45 days that were crashing it, and this was on a system that they built for me, needless to say I dropped em real quick, and found the other tech, (who got out of the business last Aug. [GREATnow what])
But before he closed his shop he wiped and reloaded our three business machines, when he called because one of the XP pro tags had come off of one box, I gave him the product code which I always write down in at least 3 places, and it didnt work, tried over and over, no luck, so I called the old techs, and finally got a call back from the owner after 4 days, he told me "well we did you a favor and ran a pirate copy to save you money", yeah right,
so I bought 3 XP Pro's had them installed, and turned their but in to Microsoft, At that point I knew little more than how to turn on the pc and do very basic maintenance. I started in Oct, and mid
Jan finished my first build, and like I said , it IS NICE, A8N32-SLI deluxe board, AMD 4800 dual core x64, 4 GB Corsair memory, Thermaltake Shark case, dual EVGA 6800GS video cards, Soundblaster X-FI platinum , running Windows XP pro x64. Friend take my advice, BUILD YOUR OWN! the only tutorage I had was through great people like the ones that contribute to this and other reputable forums, 3 or 4 books on various pc technology, and a little determination, And oh I forgot, had double pneumonia, and congestive heart failure during this, so it took a little longer that expected. Like I said before I am no guru at all, I'm 48 years old, and was wondering if I was doing the right thing, and the answer was YES, it started on the very first try , and somehow (and Im still not sure how) even the 1 TB raid config was dead on the money. Just be patient, check the different supplier sites for deals, c heck this and other forums, do a little reading, and you can have 3 times the pc you would have had buying from the mass production greed meisters. And a sense of pride and accomplishment you wouldn't believe, maybe I just got lucky, but I don't think so, the main thing is take your time, and if your not sure, DON'T DO IT, wait till the next day, it amazed me how many times leaving it alone till the next day let the clouds c lear, and lastly, don't work on it real late at nite or when your exhausted, your mental capacity can be gone and you do not even realize it, So my friend kick tail and get it done, been done before and will be again

GOOD LUCK
VELTORX1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom