What do you guys think about this comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

crisis54

Solid State Member
This will be mainly for gaming. What do you guys think?

1 x Antec P180 ATX Advanced Mid Tower Aluminum Case 4X5.25 1X3.5 6X3.5INT No PS W/ USB & Audio Ports
1 x AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor S939 Venice 2.2GHZ 512K L2 Cache 90NM Retail Box
1 x COOLERMASTER JET 7 SocketA BLOWER FAN ALUMINUM 1900-3500RPM 12-22CFM
1 x ASUS A8N5X ATX S939 NFORCE4 DDR PCI-E16 SATA RAID Sound GBLAN Motherboard
1 x Corsair Value Select PC2-4200 1GB 2X512MB DDR2-533 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory
1 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120GB IDE ATA100 7200RPM 2MB 8.5MS Hard Drive 5 Year MFR Warranty
1 x 1.44MB Black 3.5IN FLOPPY DRIVE
1 x EVGA E-GEFORCE 7800GT CO 470MHZ PCI-E 256MB 256BIT GDDR3 Dual DVI-I HDTV VIVO SLI Ready Video Card
1 x Antec True Control 2.0 550W ATX12V V2.0 Power Supply W/ Control Panel & 120MM Fan
1 x LG 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE UDMA33 INT OEM
1 x LG CDRW 52X32X52 INT Eide Atapi OEM Beige W/ SW
1 x Intel EtherExpress Pro/100 PCI 10/100mbps

I am getting this for $1,570.29 CANADIAN DOLLARS.

Here is the link for my setup. Mess around with it if you think you can give me something better. Also, this a good deal for the money?

Here is the computer

It looks like you MIGHT have some compatability issues with that....

#1 - RAM - you selected DDR2 533.... This WILL NOT WORK with that motherboard. DDR - 184 PIN.... DDR2 - 240 PIN.... It PHYSICALLY won't fit. ALSO, This board will only work with DDR 400 and below... doesn't matter if you have DDR 68374623, it will be CLOCKED DOWN to DDR 400, so no point in going over that.

#2 - The Ethernet Card - Waste of your $35, since the motherboard there is already an onboard 10/100/1000 RJ-45 port. Nuff Said.

#3 - CPU Cooler - According to the webpage, this IS NOT for a Socket 939 CPU. You could TRY to use it, but it would be a $300 experiment, and it's your money.

Something else you should look at is the Hard Drive you picked out. I STAND BY Seagate (it's ALL I use), but $90+ for a 120 GIG?!? (maybe it's just the money conversion.... not sure what unit of money you guys use, and I am too tired to look it up right now..) On http://www.newegg.com you can get a 200 Gig IDE Seagate drive for $91 American dollars....

The other issue I want to bring up is that website you linked you says that it's "Canada's Premier Computer Store", yet MOST of the products that I saw have NO PRODUCT DETAILS?!? WTF?!

I would say to order from Newegg if you know anyone in the US, and have them ship it to you.... Newegg is AWESOME with shipping, and if you have to RMA anything, it's a breeze... plus MOST products have buyer ratings too.

Build it yourself. And buy the parts from newegg. You will save a lot and be able to get a better system with all the money saved. That deal would be ok... but most of that stuff as noted already is incompatable with each other.
CPU 3500+
Zalman 9500 or 7700 or 7000. The 9500 is onsale for 60 with free shipping, which is a pretty good deal.
Memory: Your choice just make sure it's DDR not DDR2
Mobo: Your choice again. I know MSI and DFI are popular among
these forums.
Video card: Good go with EVGA
Other stuff is mostly up to you

You beat me to it, Dragon.

I'm sure the Canadian members on these forums get tired of everyone giving them links to parts on NewEgg we they can't order from there.

Ok, thanks guys. Yeah, I totally messed up, lol. I'll do some more research and refine it. Just have a few questions.

1. What's the difference between a SATA hard drive and the other kind?

2. So what's wrong with Western Digital?

3. Isn't DDR2 better than DDR? I'm only assuming because it has the 2, lol. But choose DDR?

4. It says that the athlon 3500+ is only 2.2 GHZ. Am I missing something here?

Id go with IDE and get a WD i use a 120gb IDE WD

DDR2 is better than ddr
Athlon 3500 is only 2.2ghz but a fast 2.2ghz because it has hyperthreading etc

No, no, no and no. SATA is faster than IDE, DDR2 isin't compatible with AMD and for the love of god, AMD doesn't hypertheading!!! It's fast because of the architecture of the CPU. AMD can do alot more with one clock or MHz than INTEL can. This cpu is comparable to a 3.5GHz INTLE.

1. What's the difference between a SATA hard drive and the other kind?

SATA has a faster transfer rate than ATA/IDE drives. Also, the thin round cable helps airflow in your case, whereas the flat ribbon of ATA/IDE drives can restrict it.

2. So what's wrong with Western Digital?

Nothing really. Seagate backs up their drives with a beefier warranty, and they tend to be quieter.

3. Isn't DDR2 better than DDR? I'm only assuming because it has the 2, lol. But choose DDR?

DDR2 will eventually be better than DDR, but right now the high-end of both are pretty close. AMD does not support DDR2 yet, but will with the M2/AM2 socket architecture that will be out later this year.

4. It says that the athlon 3500+ is only 2.2 GHZ. Am I missing something here?

Reggie answered this one. AMD CPUs get more done per clock cycle than Intels, so their GHz aren't as high. But like Reggie said, a 3500+ is equal to and probably exceeds an Intel 3.5GHz CPU (especially in gaming).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope that actually answered your questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom