Fan plugins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Nick

In Runtime
Hi Everybody,
Well i'm sure evrybody here in the overclocking section has thier case full of fans cooling thier precious babies but unlike you, Compaq doesn't believe in case fans so the workstation i have has absolutely no cooling other than heat sinks (now I know theres gonna be tons of people exasperated on how crazzy i am but the computers been working fine for quite a few years:)) So, I am not at all knowlegeable about fans (though not really a science i guess (exept for airflow)), anywho i am getting about 3 from a friend and need a place to plug them in. I've found the plug that says chasis fan but there are 2 others that look the same and wantede to know if i could use.
MOBOarrowed.jpg

This is my Mobo, I arrowed where the plugs in question are (middle left is the chasis fan one)

Zoomed1.jpg

This is the top 2. #1 is the marked one but i think the upper could be used also as it looks almost the same

Zoomed2.jpg

This is the bottom one (in between the red and upper black plug) It isn't marked but it looks the same as the other.

Those are the only ones i can find but the cpu fan is also open. Could that be used to power and 80mm fan or just the small ones?

Thanks

in the first two pairs, looks like the bottom one will be much more compatible. The other will probably work, but will require some afro engineering. In the second pic, looks like no problem.

Ryan

In that third pic it says "intrusion" which is a stupid little function no one uses. A button is supposed to be connected to that, that gets pressed when the side panel is on. When the side panel is taken off the button is released and an alarm goes off. That's not a place for a fan.

And for the love of god, get some canned air and dust that thing. You can see cobwebs in the first pic

And for the love of god, get some canned air and dust that thing. You can see cobwebs in the first pic

Yea, i guess i'll do that when i get the fans ;)

Anyway, Will the Intrusion one not supply power (will i be able to use it?) Also, Can the CPU Fan plug run an 80mm fan or just those tiny ones? Is there a way to run 2 fans off of one plug? (couldn't you just have it so it goes through one fan then the other then back to the plug? What are the denotations on the color (I assume Red is + and black is - but whats the white?))

Thanks

You should upgrade to a custom built PC :) compaqs are expensive to repair out of warrenty and a pain in the ***.

I will be building in a matter of weeks (very few), this i got from my dad cuz he worked at compaq (now HP) for free cuz this was his home office computer. The only reason i'm asking is because i'm getting these fans for free from a friend, i would never buy anything for this. I'll probly end up using these fans for the new one anyway.:)

ok thats cool :) i spose at least it isnt Dell lol the most common computers we get in to fix at work are Dells.

80mm fans will be fine connected to the mobo headers. Probably wouldnt the best idea to hook more than 1 fan to each header. You computer is running fine for the last couple years with no cooling, so adding a couple fans would create some airflow, but it appears that its not really needed. Since you are already receiving free fans, power up however fans you can (so far looks like 2) and dont worry the other one....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom