Booting and stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

norris

Beta member
Hey there all y'all

I want to know if there's a way I can install windows 98SE on one hard drive and windows xp on another, then boot from whichever I choose.

I don't mind fiddling with the setup page each time I switch (F2 on boot), but I don't want to have to swap cables over inside the case every time I want to change operating systems.

Can anyone help me?

Norris
x x x

I believe that you would have to create different partitions if you use the same hard drive. If you are using 2 different drives, I am not sure how to work that setup, but if you have a case that is easy to open, you could just unplug the molex (power) connector for whichever you don't want to use.

Why would you want to run BOTH of those operating systems? I could see a dual-boot with Linux & Windows, but why 2 different versions of Windows? Just about ANY software that would work on Win 98 SHOULD work on XP...

It's not a fast computer - it struggles to run XP but runs 98 as naturally as a dog poops. The idea is to rig it up so that it uses 98 as it's normal boot, but so that I can run XP if I need to (as in, XP only software required).

You could get someting like a drawer. It's basically one of your harddrives in a case and you have to secure the cables inside the case, then you can just pull the case out of the 5" 1/4 bay and switch it with the other one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom