Locking down WinXP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

godai73

Baseband Member
Hi. I was wondering if there is a way to lock down WinXP Pro so the only thing a user can do is read files and surf the internet. I want to lock it down so they can not install programs or download files from the internet onto the computer. Thanks.

> yes, you can use the group/system policies to prevent unauthorized installations, running certain appliciations, playing around in the control panel, etc.

chrönik04 said:
> yes, you can use the group/system policies to prevent unauthorized installations, running certain appliciations, playing around in the control panel, etc.

yep..once you created a user account edit there policy.

RUN> gpedit.msc

Doing this, you are able to alter their account to where they can only do pretty much what they want, if you do however, want more restricting options, you can find control programs on the internet for free and use them to control your WIN XP. Something like User Manager can restrict users on your machine.

Hope this helps, who are you wanting to restrict?

Blake

user accounts

hi another thing you could do is to set the other users up with a limited instead of an administrator account, as you must be logged onto an administrator account to install/uninstall some programs and to make any permanent changes to the desktop or any other settings. they will still have access to and be able to change any files they have created as well as surf the net.
go to user accounts in control panel and change their accounts from administrator to limited by using the change an account option. just click the account you want to change and follow the onscreen instructions.
if you want a bit more security for your folders and settings try using a program called Winguard Pro, it lets you to lock programs and folders/files individually to prevent them being accessed by anyone using a password. its simple to use and better still is totally free with no adware/spyware. its asks you to choose from a list of standard windows programs and settings, just check the ones you want to protect. it also allows you the option of protecting any third party programs you may have installed. key the following link into google if you want to try it out.

http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=1707&file=1&evp=6c205b16a555e9a56bd21f4702998719

Limitied account

Do what bazzas said, because the limited account on XP only restricts the limitied user to see or change files from other accounts, they can still download off the net and changed their own files, which is enough to mess things up.

Who are you limiting on your computer, kids? Stupid roommates like I did on my computer??

Thanks,

Blake

lol, thanks for the help guys. My parents just started to learn how to use the internet and they share the computer with some of my young cousins who are starting to learn how to use a computer at school. They are using an account with User rights and they are restricted from going into certain folders. I just wanted to restrict them from simple things like changing the clock, moving the taskbar, deleting icons, installing games/programs without me there, or downloading stuff from the internet bc I am not there to monitor what they are downloading all the time. I have my Norton anti virus scheduled to update everyday at a certain time and I have Google taskbar to stop pop ups, but I am just afraid it is not enough. I have not had any major problems, but I want to prevent problems before it happens. That is why I wanted to restrict the account. I tried using the gpedit.msc, but I do not know how to write a script, so I might have to try a third party program. Thanks again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom