problem after upgrades, URGENT PLEASE RESPOND!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard drive is dead. All your data is gone. Even if it's still under warranty you upgraded which most likely voids the warranty, unless it was done by DELL.

Listen closely to the sound the drive makes. After it's finished clicking it should stop spinning and just lay dormant, not doing anything.

I find it VERY hard to believe that the RAM would be making SOUND.... unless its getting hit by a fan or something...

My guess would be either

1. you have a floppy disk in the Floppy drive, and the computer is trying to boot off of it.

2. Your hard drive is dieing, and its what I have come to know as "The Western Digital Click of Death".

How far does the computer get when you boot it?
Does it successfully POST?
Do you get to the windows splash screen?

Not sure if it's even POSSIBLE on a DELL, but did you try to do any overclocking, or change anything in the BIOS?

Last thing I can think of... did you make sure the Powersupply input voltage is set correctly??

ok, if its not the ram, im VERY HAPPY.

the hard drive thing sounds right, but its not complete stoppage, its on and off.

also, no i have not done any overclocking or anything.

when i start the computer, it doesnt CRASH, it just goes from working to frozen to working again intermittently, making everything go at a crawl, so to answer etheral, it goes all the way into games and everything, just REALLY slow.

if it IS a hard drive issue, is there a way to FIX it, or do i have to buy a new HD and re-install everything :(

also i have no idea about PSU input voltages, how do i check that?

also, the clicking isnt as much of a click like fingers tapping, as it is like a sort of quick change between operating and not, making a clicking beat.

it doesnt SOUND like what i imagine the hard drive to sound like, but it could be. if so, should i try to bakcup my harddrive now?

Yes, back up your Hard Drive... That sounds like the Click of DEATH...

What are the specs of the Hard Drive? 5400 RPM or something? I would assume it is IDE. How large is the drive, and how much of the space is used?

Do you use P2P filesharing software? have you run a spyware / virus scan recently? Also, check the Add/Remove programs for any crap that shouldn't be there...

But, again, just to be on the safe side, back up your Data while you can.

I don't think its really the PSU , I had a problem with something like that but it was my cd/dvd drives turning off and on. but all i had to to was disconnect any and all the power cords and then i plugged them back in and it was fine. You might want to make sure that maybe by chance the Mobo 20/24 psu pin connctor is pushed all the way in maybe its not getting enoght power.

yes, i use p2p (limewire) and ill go down and try remmoving stuff, but im gonna back up while i still can

btw, dont know abot IDE... dont know what that meanns, but physical size of drive i THINK its a 3.5" drive, internal.

75 gb capaity, like 65gb used XD

ok, since the hard drive is dying, any suggestions for a good harddrive?

what kind of RPM?

is there an issue of compatablilty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom