First Raid (advice appreciated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brody

Solid State Member
I just purchased another 37g raptor. I'm going to install it on my Asus p4p800, in raid0. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm also thinking of installing a 80g hd that I have for storage incase the raid goes down.

Thanks.

Everyone is always telling me how operating a raid 0 is dangerous but Ive been running raid 0 for months with no problems.

Just got my new raptor. Do I need to delete the partition off the current one before attempting to raid?

I hooked both of them up, set the bios settings and entered the raid screen. It see's both drives but says that one of them is not bootable. Any idea?

raid 0 works great. the thing people worry about is you double the chance of hard drive failue. but if the chances are 1 in 1000 now they are 2 in 1000 you should always back up even if not using raid0

setting them up in raid you will loose all data on your old drive. so delete partition. set up the raid with the raid utility then install your os. have your floppy with raid drivers ready to press f6 when installing windows.

hefemeister said:
setting them up in raid you will loose all data on your old drive. so delete partition. set up the raid with the raid utility then install your os. have your floppy with raid drivers ready to press f6 when installing windows.

So you think the error is because there is a partition on one of them? So I should delete it first? I have no problem doing so, I already have everything backed up.

I have everything, and have setup everything in the bios/raid config, but I had the error.

Thanks

Best way to delete? Run XP setup and delete, then quit the install?

What about normal raid?! would i lose all my data if raided like 2 160GB hdds? That would make a change from my current comp to a new one very very tough..being that i couldnt transfer all of my data from my current drive and then raid the 2 160s together.. ugg

Anyone? I'm going to attempt this again, but I'm not sure why I had the error in the raid menu (ctrl +I).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom