spyware: my rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakta

In Runtime
Okay so Ive recently had spyware problems and am nearly clean except for this winfixer problem
Basically when browsing the internet it asks me to download this registry fixer. Now i'm not stupid enough to fall for this, I know about spyware, where it hides, what programs to removbe it, I see this every day. But this one is evading every trick I know. Basically it insists on downloading the file whether I click okay, cancel or the top right close button. Surely this isn't legal? I don't authorise this software to be on my system! Is there any way in whcih to reveal what is causing these popups to appear? adaware now comes up clean and there appears to be no funny looking processes running (except for a process called 'system' down beside 'system idle process' which runs as a system process)

any ideas?

Thanks mate for sticking with me.... im looking at the post right now

Up to this point ive been using a combination of spybot with adaware, im mostly upset since this pc was only formatted last night for me and i let my sis's play on it whilst i was at coll. Id really hate to have to go through all the software installation like firefox and all my games again.

right ive run both programs on your forum link only time will tell if they worked

Download the free 14-day trial of Spysweeper and then its updates and use it to clean your system. Hands down its the best antispyware software out there today. Full version costs only $30 and I'd recommend it fully over a combination of free stuff.

Ive had a shower since, rebooted and ran internet explorer on it whilst i had the shower, since ive ahd no popups nopr has any page been modified to include ads at the top (which did include this page) everything seems clean so unless I add another post, assume the problem solved, I thank all for their prompt responses, and hope you understand my grattitude.

Follow these instructions carefully

Download ALL 4 programs and update them as soon as they are installed, this is very important, except for Hijackthis!.

Ad Aware SE Personal Free

Spybot Search and Destroy Free

Microsoft Antispy

HijackThis Free

Ewido

Follow these steps

Delete the prefetch folder C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch, this folder will come back on next reboot.

Delete all cookies and temporary internet files in the control panel.

Go to Start, run, type msconfig, go to startup, disable everything except your antivirus, click apply, dont reboot yet.

Download Msconfig Cleanup below

Msconfig Cleanup Free

Run Msconfig Cleanup after you unchecked the items you were told to uncheck and recheck, click "Select All", then click "Clean up Selected", then click "Quit".

Now run each spyware program 1 by 1. Running all 3 at the same time will slow most systems down.

When each program has finished scanning, remove everything.

For Microsoft Antispy, after it has finished scanning, some items will/might be on ignore, you will need to select remove unless the program is valid such as VNC Viewer, etc.

Now go to the recycle bin and delete everything that is in it.

When finished with the scans, reboot, and go into Safe Mode and run these scans again, remove everything they find, and then reboot back into Windows in normal mode. You dont need to run Hijackthis! yet.

Then run HiJackthis!

Save the log, copy and paste the log on www.techist.com
Do not attach the log, copy and paste always. This will make things go much faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom