what can i get for 2k

Status
Not open for further replies.
defzeppelin said:
Why do you guys always choose AMD processors.

Graphics card you can get two XFX GeForce 6800GS..they are pretty much the 2nd best GFX cards on the market ATM.
ith the lowest latencies.

Good monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001070

1. AMD is best for gaming, its been proven by benchmarks
2. get a single x1900 xt or xtx, with a $2000 budget, two 6800 is stupid. One its not the best card, and getting two of the non-best, thats bad use of money. Get one really good one, x1900.
3. he has a monitor

defzeppelin said:
Why do you guys always choose AMD processors.

PERSONALLY, I prefer AMD processors. They are the underdog, as Intel was in a race for getting the highest GHz processors, AMD took their time to make their CPU's more powerful while at the same time CONSUMING LESS power, and achieving marks similar to those of higher GHz Intel chips... Also, from reviews I have seen (haven't had an intel CPU since my PII 650E Slot 1) Intel chips are prone to overheating...

EDIT: Intel CPU's are better for multi-tasking, like when your encoding video, while doing a virus scan, while compressing HUGE files....

I get most of my info from the followin 3 sources
http://tomshardware.com
http://anandtech.com
http://hardocp.com <--- GREAT for OEM system reviews

defzeppelin said:
I would get two 74GB WD Raptors and put them in RAID zero. This will be used for your OS and most used games/programs. Put the OS on one decently sized partition for OS, and another for the games, ect. Then get a nice storage drive, maybe you can get the new 500gb HD out there.

I dunno about this.... IMO, Western Digital Drives have cause me nothing but trouble (never tried Raptor series), so I am STRICTLY Seagate. I have about 1 Terabyte (collective) worth of Seagate drives in different PC's, and haven't had a SINGLE problem with them.

RAID 0 - I wouldn't.... you lose 1 drive, you lose EVERYTHING in the Array. I would have to say that for casual gamers / PC users, there isn't much need for any RAID. If RAID is something wanted, I would check out RAID 0 + 1.... I am not to familiar with it myself, but my guess would be it is a combo of Raid 0 & Raid 1. lol

If you DO look into the WD Raptor for HDD's, I hear they have a (fairly) new 150 Gig 10,000 RPM Sata drive. I have read reviews about the 74 Gig raptors getting blisteringly hot in SFF (Small Form Factor) cases withough active cooling on them, not sure how the 150 Gig drives would hold up.

EDIT 2: Again, something I haven't had the pleasure of using, but I have seen quite a few reviews... Seems that the cost of running an SLI set up is just not justified unless you are using MULTIPLE monitors.... there is the initial cost of the additional Video card, as well as more power consumption.... yeah, it wouldn't be much, but it is cumulative...

Yeah, get the mobo i recommended and not the crossfire one, whats the point in getting integrated graphics if your going to get a high-end graphics card?

Oh and Ethereal_Dragon, have you had problems with more then just one Western Digital H/D?

Yup.... BUNCH of different drives too.... 8 Gig drives, 20 Gig drives, and an 80 Gig drive. My good friend had similar problems... EVERY drive that was RMA'd failed within 4-8 weeks. Said forget it, switch to Seagate, and NOT A PROBLEM since then, and that was YEARS ago.

Ethereal_Dragon said:
Yup.... BUNCH of different drives too.... 8 Gig drives, 20 Gig drives, and an 80 Gig drive. My good friend had similar problems... EVERY drive that was RMA'd failed within 4-8 weeks. Said forget it, switch to Seagate, and NOT A PROBLEM since then, and that was YEARS ago.

Really, I'm surprised, I like WD a lot, they're a **** of a lot better than maxtor thats for sure.

Having raid zero is nice, you really have to be careful of what your doing though. Raid 1+0 is a lot better... if you want to spend $1000 in harddrives:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom