Invalid Boot File?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDirector

Solid State Member
When I first startup my computer it says INVALID BOOT FILE, then continues and works fine a couple seconds later. Anyone know why this is or how to fix it? Thanks for the help.

go to start, run, type msconfig, go to boot.ini, click check all boot paths and if it comes back with an error, clic yes to remove the invalid entry.
-----------------------------
go to start -> run

type "boot.ini"

that will let you modify your boot file
-------------------------------------------------
^ you can not access the boot.ini file this way...

When exactly does the message appear?

It cannot locate file when I type run > boot.ini. And when I go to msconfig it does not have a boot.ini tab.

thats your problem right there. You are supposed to have the tab. Lets see what we can do to fix it. When you start MSCONFIG.EXE (System Configuration utility), the BOOT.INI tab which usually appears, may be missing.

This may simply be a file permissions issue. You can verify that by typing C:\Boot.ini in Start, Run dialog. If you get Access Denied or similar error, that explains the problem.

Here is another obscure possibility:

Open Regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig

Backup the key by exporting it to a REG file

In the right-pane, delete the value named Boot.ini (if found)

Close Registry Editor and open MSCONFIG.

are you running win 2000? it doesnt have msconfig built-in, you have to download it, and put the file into the WINNT folder.

I am running Windows XP. When I tried to type Boot.INI it did give me the error. Any suggestions?

Did you try this below?

Open Regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig

Backup the key by exporting it to a REG file

In the right-pane, delete the value named Boot.ini (if found)

Close Registry Editor and open MSCONFIG.

Once I go into REGEDIT and get to MSCONFIG the only thing I see is a (Default) file and nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom