Read the XP EULA sometime...it's scary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qiranworms

Fully Optimized
Wow. It is rather scary what you are binding yourself and everything on your computer to when you just click that "agree" button on the XP installation. Microsoft has complete control over your computer and everything on it. They own all of your software:

4. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS. All title

and intellectual property rights in and to the SOFTWARE

(including but not limited to any images, photographs,

animations, video, audio, music, text and "applets,"

incorporated into the SOFTWARE), the accompanying printed

materials, and any copies of the SOFTWARE, are owned by

MS or its suppliers (including Microsoft Corporation). The

SOFTWARE is licensed, not sold.

A collection of Microsoft EULAs:
http://proprietary.clendons.co.nz/licenses/eula/

MicroBell said:
LOL..They OWN me...NOT.

They will soon enough...I see some strong similarities between Microsoft and The Party...and Bill Gates and Big Brother. :D

by the software dont they mean the OS? it makes no sense for them to own your programs that you bought besides the OS. so what if it is a pirated copy. . . do they own my computer also? let them come and try to take it from me :angry:

It should mean that they own not only the code for the OS but their fancy little windows icons, windows pictures that came with the installment, animations, videos about the software, and bs like that. There's no way they could take something other than that to court. I just don't see it happening.

What if i visited a webpage and saw some previously copyrighted material (a pic or some thing) and decided to snag it, for my own personal, non commercial, collection (which i've done plenty of times and i'm sure most of you have to)? They don't automatically own the rights to that guy's pic, no more than i do, just because i downloaded it onto my pc with their buggy operating system.

Actually, they do somehow have full rights to everything you store within their Operating System. I think any Microsoft developers have to "license" their software under Microsoft...now I don't know how everything works with illegal content and all that...it would be interesting to ask a lawyer who understands what all the legal content means definetively. I can read it with my untrained eyes and interpret it the way it looks to me, but I do not know how all of it would count in a lawsuit. Any lawyers here who have read the Windows XP EULA?

Yea, this is exactly what they are talking about. They don't own ya or anything on your PC unless it's self-incorporated with the OS software. Not 3rd party apps or anything.
Oh hang on a sec....Bill's at my door....It's time for my weekly laptop software check.
*sigh*

Too bad they don't do OS recalls, so if they screw up (like they have with this current OS and the Blaster Patch), then they trade ya for a good, patched copy.

Having bad code is just as liable as having an automobile with a short in some electrical system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom