MOBO Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ropponmatsu

Baseband Member
More than a month ago my ASUS P4800-D burned out. I diagnosed it as a burned out south-bridge judging from the cause and other reviews that had similar problems. My computer wouldn't even go so far as to boot. All power was on but there was just no life at all.

I ordered a new mother-board, Epox brand though I'm not sure of the exact model number and can't verify at the moment. It's exactly similar to my ASUS except for the south-bridge which is a different make. After installing the new mobo I was able to boot the machine. During booting though it notified that my Processor had been changed and I needed to re-setup the BIOS. So I entered the BIOS etc... I reboot the machine and I encounter ye-olde screen asking me to boot in Safe mode or normally. So I choose normally and I get the comforting XP logo with the loading bar. A few seconds later my screen goes blank and my computer automatically reboots back to the diagnostics screen asking me to reset my BIOS.

The mobo can read my processor just fine, clock speed, L1 and L2 cache so I have no reason to believe there is a problem with my processor. I re-enter BIOS and find nothing out of the ordinary so I try to quit and save but now it doesn't feel like proceeding. Instead it decides to sit and blink the cursor at me tauntingly. So I manually reboot proceed passed the diagnostics screen and try and boot in safe mode. Screen goes black and reboots on it's own

So I contact the manufacturer, Epox and request a new BIOS chip. More than a month later I finally get it, I use the PLCC extractor to remove the old one. I replace the old one with the new chip and voila I still have the exact same problem.

So I've decided I've wasted enough time and money and I don't plan to spend more money on new processor's just to still have the same problem. So before I RMA my mobo for a refund I thought I would see if anyone had a solution? If not then I'm just going to hand my PC over to a technician because I'm just sick of dealing with this BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom