WinFX
Object Dock
Cursor XP
Icon Packager
(HI RES wallpaper)
Rainlender
Sysmetrix

Those are just my window enhancements

Not to mention, tons of other things running in my taskbar and task manager...

TESTBED benchmarks don't mean jack to me, because testbeds are not representitive to (Real PC's). I give much more creditability to your and my PC benchmarks because they are real PC's.

Doesn't it annoy you having all that in the BG? I am annoyed about having 31 processes as I have .net 1.1 and media connect to stream music to my xbox 360.

yea all those background processes add up after a while and before you know it, your computer than ran great on 1gig of ram needs some help.

I use my computer for everything, but 1GB of RAM is plenty right now. I have a few desktop enhancements (like WindowBlinds)...but I dunno, I don't find it necessary to have that much stuff run in the background. Maybe it's because I'm used to my laptop which could not run many things at the same time.

It's not annoying actually. That's why I have 2GIG's in all my systems.

It would be annoying if I had to close all my GUI programs and background programs and services so I could get good performance in games. Then start them all back up when I'm not gaming.

beedubaya said:
Ah....that makes a difference too. If you have all these super desktop enhancements, of course you are going to need a lot of memory. I try to keep my processes at a minimum, so I've been doing okay with only 1GB of RAM, although I really have considered 2GB. I just haven't been gaming enough since this semester started to warrant the upgrade.

I'm in the same boat too. Although I've thought about getting the extra memory, I decided it wouldn't go to good use because I haven't been gaming since school started again. The professors are giving too much darn'd homework.

Ryan

Thanks for posting Molsen! That was unexpected...I though the benches would be different. A lot different. They didn't test many games that used high ram though like BF2 COD2 etc, but thats all been said before. I thought your post was fine. People didn't need to flip out. Don't shot the messenger...jeeesh.

While those games may use it, I highly doubt there is a huge noticeable difference between 1 gig and 2 gigs of memory ... at least not a big enough difference to make someone want to spend $100 or so on another set of a gig.

Okay, but what is the base line for FPS? I mean you can't detect a difference between 150FPS and 170, without using a program.

Brtnboarder495 said:
While those games may use it, I highly doubt there is a huge noticeable difference between 1 gig and 2 gigs of memory ... at least not a big enough difference to make someone want to spend $100 or so on another set of a gig.

There is a huge difference in performance in my system with 1G vs. 2G
I know because I experimented with exactly that. I've had 2G for awhile. But then a friend of mine's 1G died and I loaned him a 1G for a few days until his arrived UPS. I couldn't wait to get my freakin 2G back. It's basically because of how I run my OS and all the software bells and whistles that I have running. With only 1G the PC was super slow. Mostly on responce times / load times. Application minimize times were horrible too. ALT+TAB in gaming took forever.

HOW DOES RAM EFFECT SYSTEM PERFORMANCE?
The CPU requires DATA
DATA when not being used, is stored on the HDD.
DATA when executed or run, has a copy sent to RAM from the HDD.
The NORTHBRIDGE is responsible for retreiving the necessary DATA from the RAM and passing it along to the CPU.
Even though the HDD may have a huge storage capacity, it's far too slow for the CPU and doesn't have a route to pass DATA directly.

So, if your RAM is responsible for providing your CPU with the necessary data required for the software you are running, if you are running many instances of software simultaneously, there is a great need for more RAM storage. If there isn't enough storage, you're CPU must wait until your RAM is refreshed and more data is transfered from the HDD to the RAM. (Forget about a windows paging file)
This was for all the noobs who are scratching their heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom