password

Status
Not open for further replies.

talldude123

Banned
i bought a used computer yesterday while looking for a laptop for my mom, and bought an HP Pentium 3 633 Mhz.

the problem is, whoever last used it, set a password, so i cant install anything, remove anything, or generally...be an administrator!

are there ways to work around passwords?
or do i just have to buy a new HD for it?

also, the computer came with a FREE monitor!

it's an ADI microscan 5EP (11 years old, 15-inch) and suprisingly works great! i am using it right now, great color and goes to 1280*1024 no problem! (suprised?)

you're not planning to reformat?

if u can get you're hands on an erd commander disc u can change the password without knowing the previous one.

really? i'll google that, see if its free, or a similar thing is available

i was told this was a company computer, they didnt know the password, so it was kind of a giveaway ($40 for everything)

If there's a BIOS password, that information is stored in the BIOS and buying a new hard drive isn't going to remove the password restriction...you could try clearing the CMOS or flashing a newer BIOS but I'm not sure that would work or not as I have no experience with BIOS passwords

Worst case scenario you could take is pulling the chip out and replacing it, but that seems to be a lot of work for such an old PC and finding a replacement BIOS chip would be next to impossible

You could, put I doubt they'd bother trying to help you or know much about a Pentium 3 and troubleshooting it

Like I said...if it's a BIOS password, your only real chance is trying to clear your CMOS and seeing if that reverts it back to a default of passwords disabled, the BIOS chip is embedded within your motherboard and there's no way to get around it unless as I said you were to pull out the existing chip and put in a new one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom