Installing a Video Card (Noob)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DONK2GLORY

Solid State Member
Bought a Video card about 2 months ago, trying to install it, not sure if it came with a CD installation or not.

I have inserted the Video Card into the slot but when I Boot the computer up, The video screen is completely black.

Its a Nvidea Geoforce video card and I am on Windows XP operating system.

It is located in the PCI Express slot.

Need help guys, really appreciate it. I need to install this video card to be able to use 2 monitors for my job.

Thanks,

first of all is the screen black when it goes into windows or the whole time? it is pci-e, so if it has the connector have you connected the 6 pin power plug for the card? what is your motherboard, is it sli? if it is sli you may have it in the wrong pci-e slot. if all these things are in order then your looking at a DOA card.

Screen is completely black as if not receiving signal the whole time.....This computer only has 1 PCI slot and I am not sure what kinda motherboard it is..

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1576818&Sku=G153-1118

I am not sure what you mean by power plug for the video card itself....it has 2 Dvi outputs and a connection that says S-Video on it.

That is the computer I bought and I am trying to install this card into..... also what does doa stand for?

ok if it has 1 pci-e slot then its not sli so that is ruled out. the power plug would be on the inside edge of the card, its not external. DOA=Dead On Arrival. i didn't think about integrated graphics. thats probably the problem. that motherboard will either have a jumper on it to disable the integrated graphics or you will have to connect the monitor to the old monitor plug on the motherboard and go into the BIOS and disable it there. either way the integrated graphics has to be disabled

If you click on the link and enlarge the picture..the top left is the only plug I see..and thats where it says S-Video.

Also How do i disable it in the bios...I went to where it said .. Primary Video Adaptors, and gave me 4 options
Auto ( currently on that)
INT Graphics
EXT Pcie Graphics (peg)
Ext Pci graphics..

Also, do video cards usually come wtih some kind of Cd to install any drivers?....Im asking because I dont remember if this came with a cd or not.

Is this how I disable it..if so which do i choose

Thanks

DONK2GLORY said:
If you click on the link and enlarge the picture..the top left is the only plug I see..and thats where it says S-Video.
Thanks

He meant on the part of the card that is located inside of the case. There should be a 4 pin Molex plug to plug a 4 pin molex from your PSU into the case.

It doesn't look like your card has one though.

Am I supposed to goto control panel, Display properties, advanced, ..adapter click on properties and then Disable this device?

I just went to the bios and choose under Primary Video Adaptors.... EXT PCIE graphics (peg)..........powerd off the pc installed the video card, and when loading up..got NO DVI signal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom