Help me choose my laptop please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mach1threat

Baseband Member
Ok let me start this with what i want. I basically want a laptop that is mid-grade ( + / - $1500 ). Im not really worried about battery life as i am performance. The only thing that is really holding me back is the video card in this notebook. Here are the specs:

www.ibuypower.com

15.4 1280X800
Mobile Amd athlon 64 3700+
1024 DDR 400 ram (corsair)
Mobility 128 MB ATI radeon 9700 Pro (256 bit)
80 gig 7200rpm HD

Total: $1,322.00 + Shipping ect

I think that is a good price for a laptop and i have had good dealings with this company. Do you guys think that the video card will be able to run doom 3, halflife 2, or world of warcraft even at a low resolution / quality? Im just lookin for something mobile that will do the same things as my mid grade PC.

Looks like a good deal to me. You will be able to play all three of those games just fine I'd say. Doom3 might not run as well, but HL2 and WoW especially should be peachy.

Yeah thanks. My regular computer is an athlon xp 2600+ with 1.5 gig ram and a geforce 4 6600GT. I hope the radeon is going to be around the same perfomance. I think for $200 i can upgrade to two gigs of ram if that will help any

Nah, go with Intel's new "Core Duo" and a mobility X1600. I'm sorry, but AMD is just weak in the mobile department.

That laptop setup you have listed probably does not have a "mobile" processor. The battery life will be very short on it. Probably last only 1 hour or less without power plugged in. I would save gaming for a desktop and mobile duties used for school/work with a Intel Centrino/Mobile cpu type of deal. You could actually get a laptop and a desktop to play games with for around $1400.

http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/system/ntbkx56700.asp?v=d
A Pentium M system from Cyberpower that's really good and comes witha 256mb geforce 6600.
http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/system/ntbkx649700.asp?v=d
A similar system with a Turnion64 processor and 128mb x700 card

AMD makes laptop processors that are more powerful than Intel's and generally cost less, too. They tend to give you less battery life, generally not a whole lot though. Depends whats more important to you, a powerful desktop replacement or a balance between gaming and mobility.

Also, the same Athlon64 laptop you built on ibuypower costs about $200 less from cyberpower.
http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/system/ntbkx649700.asp?v=d

wow i really like that Pentium M setup with the 256 MB Geforce card. The only downfall i see with that is the 5,400 rpm drive. No biggie though because that would also save on the battery time.

How would you rate that geforce 6600 256 mb card? I know alot of times i see cards with 128 sometimes beating the crap out of the cheaper 256 mb cards due to beter GPU's.

Thanks for everyones help!

It's seems to be a really good card over all, better than the 128mb version from what I've seen. The reason some 256 cards aren't too good is because their memory is clocked really low, but the 6600 (and most other newer cards) have all but completely resolved this issue.
And if you want a 7200 rpm hard drive instead I believe you can upgrade to that for another $80 if you choose.

jorsoft03 said:
AMD makes laptop processors that are more powerful than Intel's and generally cost less, too. They tend to give you less battery life, generally not a whole lot though. Depends whats more important to you, a powerful desktop replacement or a balance between gaming and mobility.
Really, this is arguable. The Turion and Pentium M are pretty close in performance, and the Pentium M's battery life beats the Turion 64's by about ten minutes. The Mobile Athlon 64 is also about even in performance with some Pentium Ms, however, the battery life absolutely sucks, and runs very, very hot (and I say this from personal experience). But the Core Duo that Intel introduced is quite powerful. I'd like to see how AMD is going to respond to it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom