Im dumb, a total noob and i got some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it sucks but your most likely going to have to buy a new operating system. Reason being, the copy of windows XP included with the DELL has certain extra things like drivers and stuff, so it's most likely going to be very sketchy.

Ryan,

The card I think, is alright for what he's doing, this build will also be a major increase in speed even just in windows. I say if he's got the money and wants to spend it go ahead! You are right however that if he doesn't want to spend it all he could use a lot of the parts from the DELL.

i might reuse the harddrive, but not the processer or the memory

whatsa socket 939 mobo? is that the one you posted reggie? all that stuff is compatible right?

and oh :( i was hopin to avoid payin for windows :(

Yea the MSI is a socket 939 motherboard. I know it sucks to have to pay for Windows. You could build up the system and then try the operating system, if it works then you save $90.

About the OS, I lost my xp disk and borrowed my grandma's Dell xp and used it in my emachine. Windows update got me all the correct drivers and I manualy uninstalled some worthless stuff and it works perfect.

First, to use the Windows cd that came with your dell you are going to have to burn a new copy of it without the proprietary dell sh*t on it.

Second, make sure you unlock your X800Gto2 to the full 16 pipes, this will get you more bang for your buck.

I'm not sure if he know's hpw to unlock the pipes on that card. I'm not even sure how to do it. Linky please?

yeah, bios flash it :) did my homework on that ;) and anyway, with that processer and 2GB memory, it would run everything on highest setting with 12 pipes, without overclocking.

edit- on the newegg.com site people were sayin it came 16pipes out of the box (even for regular GTO) so i might not even have to worry about that.

Well if your not overclocking the card then there is no reason why you would want to buy that cooler. I'm not to sure about the card comming with 16 pipes right out of the box. If it doesn't it just makes it that much more fun. The system would probably be close to maxing out most games with the card overclocked.

hmmm

if i reuse the hard drive, would i still have windows?? i should right.. plus i dont want to reinstall everything i have.

but, could i get a bigger hard drive and use it too?? like, to store ****? how would this work?

and also, the guy who said to burn the windows disc and get rid of the dell ****.. could you explain in detail how to do that? thanks

edit- w00t ordered the case/mobo/powersupply/dvd burner/processer :D i think that should be about all of it besides the memory and extra hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom