Help Me Build the Best $1200 Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I might get a single core 3700+ because it has better performance in gaming are which is pretty muchall I will be doing. Then I can get a sick keyboard, mouse, and speaker. What do you think.

5u1c1d47m0nck3y said:
I think I might get a single core 3700+ because it has better performance in gaming are which is pretty muchall I will be doing.

What are you comparing this to...if its a dual core then you are way off but if you are comparing it to other single cores then this is the best price to performance ratio w/ stock speed. But if you really want to get the most out of you dollar you should look at the opteron 148. the 148 is only like 20 or 30 bucks more but you could clock that to past fx-57 speeds with that ddr500 ram i suggested a while ago. i think that it would be roughly 1225 but i could be a bit off on that, doing this post quickly :cyclopes:

I also haven't really heard anythin about that brand of powersupply and rule of thumb on PSU's is to go with a good brand. While this is not always the case it usually is. Cheaping out on the power supply could hurt your chances of overclocking well i believe.

Also, you dont need a sick keyboard...or mouse for that matter. I have some $20 microsoft black optical mouse and i can PWN in cod2 with it just as well as with some laser mouse made by diamondback. If you did get some speakers you wouldn't really notice a difference because you are sticking with onboard sound. While a nice subwoofer does intensify most situations, it isn't the be all end all of audio. I would say that a good sound card is more important than a good set of speakers.

As for cables, i dont really know that much about those. One idea that i am thinking of doing is buying that ocz 520W modstream PSU... the idea behind that is to keep my wires as neat as possible for good air flow using the modular wiring that the ocz psu has.

Other than that, i would say that it is a great build.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103931
Get that PSU. Good quality, good price. I would reccommend at least 500W for that system.

What are you comparing this to...if its a dual core then you are way off
Right now single cores are much better than dual cores in gaming. Since current games only use one core, then you only use half of the dual core CPU. The 3700 is clocked at 2.2GHz, while the X2 3800 is clocked at 2GHz per core. The 3700 has a 200MHz advantage over the X2 3800.
You dont need an opteron to overclock to FX-57 speeds. Ive seen a lot of people around here, myself included, that got the 3700 to 2.7-3.0GHz ez. If you are going to overclock, then you should probably get a new cooler for the CPU.

What kind of cables are you talking about? If its the IDE/SATA cables, they come with the motherboard.

Vybuni said:
Since current games only use one core, then you only use half of the dual core CPU. The 3700 is clocked at 2.4GHz, while the X2 3800 is clocked at 1.8GHz per core. The 3700 has a 600MHz advantage over the X2 3800.

I'm going to correct you before someone comes in and embarasses you. The X2 3800+ is 2.0Ghz, Dual Core and the Athlon 64 3700+ is 2.2GHz, single Core.

The 3700+ has a 200MHz advantage over the X2 3800+ in single-threaded processes (as in, every game thats out right now).

I think I will stick with the 3800+ X2 and get some nice acessories later. I think I am gonna do one more revision and it should be good.The only thing is that power supply. The one Vybunny just sugested is to expensive. I need one for less than 50.

Revision 5

Case - 50-70
XION XION II

PSU - 43.99
Fortron 450W

Mobo - 129.99
DFI Lanparty UT nF4

Hard Drive - 89.00
Seagate Barracuda 160Gb

Video Card - 295.00
eVGA 7800GT

RAM - 169.00