K7s5a

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blo

Baseband Member
I need to chew a couple 'o things over before i attempt to flash my K7S5A.
I've got the date (15th december 2001) on boot-up screen - (as stated below)... and i can see the date is after the 09/11/2001 effected bios, which have a bug in respect to making dos start discs... I need to know i can go ahead making my dos disc on this system, and whether the flashing procedure,(below) is O.K.
I know i have to clean-up the boot disc by erasing all files-(hidden or otherwise), other than command.com,io.sys, and msdos.sys.
Then i d/load the latest AMI flasher utility, (Is AMINF336.EXE still the most recent version)?... and after unzipping it, i put it on the same floppy disc.
Anyway, d/load the rom file - Unzip it, and put that on the floppy too.
The instructions below refer to another system, but show the rest of the process... IS THIS RIGHT?
Please make things easy on me, by keeping things short + clear.

In the following examples, the V.02/02/06 (020206.rom) bios and the aminf329.exe bios flasher will be used. If you are flashing with a newer or older bios/flasher, just replace "aminf329.exe" and "020206.rom" with the file names you use.

The contents of your boot disk should now look like this:
020206.rom
aminf329.exe
command.com
io.sys
msdos.sys

Step D, boot the floppy and flash the BIOS

Restart your computer and boot on the floppy disk. (Make sure your bios is set to boot the floppy before the hard drive, or press F8 for the bios boot menu during the bios initialization and select boot from floppy).

The flash utility needs to know the filename of the .rom file you are about to flash, so you have to tell it by writing the name of the .rom file after aminf329. In this example, I use the non-LAN "020206.rom" file.

At the a: prompt, write:
aminf329 020206.rom and press the Enter key.
The flash utility will check the contents of the .rom file and guide you through the rest of the flashing procedure. When it is done, the computer will reboot*. Remove the floppy disk.
* You can also use the parameter "-r". It prevents the system from rebooting after the flash sequence, so you're able to see any error message that may occur.

Step E, setting up the BIOS again
After the reboot, it will most likely tell you something like "CMOS checksum wrong" and "CMOS battery low". This is quite normal (for this board, anyway), and does not mean anything bad.

Just press F1 to load default values, enter the BIOS setup and set it up the way you like it. Then save and exit
ThatÂ’s it.

My system is Running AMI Bios: c(2001)
XP Proffessional/Office XP Proffessional
K7S5A M/board - (no oboard modem or network card)
Maxtor 40 GB - 7,200 spin H/drive - (Primary/Master) Location 0(0)
512 MB / SD Ram / 133mhz
Asus CD/RW Drive - (secondary/Master) Location 0(0)
16 X DVD Rom - (Secondary/Slave) Location 1(1)
Neto Dragon 56kb Modem
Nividia Riva TNT2 M64 / 32 MB AGP Graphics Card

Boot-Up Screen Reads:
K7S5A Release 12/15/2001 S
And No. at bottom of boot screen reads: 62-1215-001131-00101111-040201-SIS735-K7S5A
Although System Information states Bios Version+date as 07.00T 02/04/2001
and SMBIOS Version 2.3

Yep, sounds good. Be careful though. I had a k7s5a once, and I corrupted the bios by trying an unofficial one that supported overclocking. Had to buy a new Bios chip.

No, I'm not into causing MORE problems for myself - I'd just be happy to get things running smoothly... After 2 years...

However, i will say this:- 'Most problems are/were related to the plonker who sold me this system...
He'd sold loads of these systems - all with K7S5A's... Problem is though... He hadn't got a clue how to set them up properly, didn't know about the power requirements, and as i said, was a right plonker!
Cheers. Blo.

I started flashing board today but when i booted-up and typed dir - then enter, it only listed 3 files... Flash file + utility + command.com were listed, but not io.sys or msdos.sys... Is this right... because in internet explorer-(when checking disc contents)-it shows all files...
I made boot disc correctly on a win 98 PC... nothing wrong as far as i can tell, so are the other 2 files listed in dos or not...
Cheers Blo.

Unzipping the actual bios creates only 1 file - (030811.rom)... And my bios is AMI - (AMERICAN MEGATRENDS INC.)... and the actual flash program - (aminf3361.exe) doesn't unzip when i select open, and has Application (not zip file) listed in properties.
My board is a PCB 1.1 version, which the new ecs bios is o.k. (1x and 3x boards with/without lan now use the same 2004 bios)

I've tried flash, but type in the files and it says 'bad command or file name'...
I'm using aminf3361.exe and 030811.rom for my k7s5a... I've tried all sorts of variations, typing: aminf336 because of file having more than 8 characters... Losing the .exe at the end etc.... the only thing i can think of besides the long file name is that when i d/loaded aminf3361.exe, it doesnot unzip! It says it's an application/not zip file in properties!... is that right?
I was wondering whether renaming the file-(making it 8 characters or below) before flashing, would be a possibility.
There is another option i suppose... I could have the wrong flash files for my mobo.

Written by agp slot is: K7S5A, and to the left(nearer agp slot) is canada ices-003
class B

My system is Running AMI Bios: c(2001)
XP Proffessional/Office XP Proffessional
K7S5A M/board - sis 7012 sound chip-(no obrd modm or netwk card)
Maxtor 40 GB - 7,200 spin H/drive - (Primary/Master)
512 MB / SD Ram / 133mhz
Asus CD/RW Drive - (secondary/Master)
16 X DVD Rom - (Secondary/Slave)
Neto Dragon 56kb Modem
Nividia Riva TNT2 M64 / 32 MB AGP Graphics Card

Boot-Up Screen Reads:
K7S5A Release 12/15/2001 S
And No. at bottom of boot screen reads: 62-1215-001131-00101111-040201-SIS735-K7S5A

Yo ho ho, flash worked o.k. - but i had to type; aminf3~1 Instead of the whole name...
Many thanks. Blo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom